WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

60 joint assembly of dresser

Posts

60 joint assembly of dresser

#1

60 joint assembly of dresser

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Wood working becomes an exercise in options and choices and decisions prioritized on what is most important to the person building. For myself, it is most important to assemble a piece all at once and in a time frame where the last joint made is made quick enough that the first has not set permanently. I believe that this approach relieves stress on the joints and the whole of it settles into the most relaxed state, which leads to a square structure if the parts have been carefully prepared.


Assembly of this case involved 60 dovetail and mortise and tenon joints. This morning when I took the clamps off and measured diagonals they measured 1164 and 1164 mm. Square makes fitting drawers trivial.


I made a choice to not expose dovetails on the vertical dividers. This decision required sliding the dividers into the "blind" dovetails in from the back. This requirement required that the divider be installed, then the runners. If you think this situation through, and I didn't until it was too late, it results in a complicated assembly of the top section shown in Picture 3.



All these joints must be made at once while the glue enables easy sliding of the parts together. I was certain that liquid hide would not provide the assembly time I needed. I once said that epoxy has no place in fine furniture. It found itself into the top of this piece.

Given the way this jigsaw puzzle was assembled it could never be unassembled no matter the glue, which relieved my conscience of using epoxy for the first few joints. Liquid hide completed the assembly.

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#2

johannaj

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

johannaj

Holy cow! That project may be relaxed, but I'd be a nervous wreck if I tried it! Good for you!

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#3

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Glue ups like that always remind me of the guys that spin plates on sticks back on the Ed Sullivan show. Or at least I feel like that! :D

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#4

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

Keith Newton

I'd be interested in which epoxy you chose, and if you added any fillers, / silica, or just straight.

Also, it appears that you only put the epoxy in the slot, rather than on both parts, since none shows on the top of the exposed part?

Nice job, by the way, congrats.

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#5

answers

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"I'd be interested in which epoxy you chose" System 3 T-88 "overnight cure structural adhesive" It sounded good.

and if you added any fillers ..No, why would it be advantageous to add a filler? They're all good joints. I am not gap filling anywhere. Epoxy only used on top three sections that I naively designed with the result an assembly puzzle.

"Also, it appears that you only put the epoxy in the slot." I only put adhesive were it needs to be, in the joint. For an adhesive to work both surfaces must be wet by adhesive. Some rely on adhesive from one surface making the transfer during assembly. I NEVER do. No matter what I use, both surfaces are coated with a thin film sufficient to wet. The part that slides in will be much thinner to avoid squeezing the excess out where it shows. On end grain the film will be much thicker and likely doubly applied before assembly. At most, 5 mL of epoxy was sufficient.

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#6

Way back when, I was using S3

Keith Newton

I was doing enough boat work, that I'd be using it to wet out glass fiber, as well as on wood. The former needs thinner than the later. I'm not sure they offered one specifically for adhesive, so additives would be needed to get the right viscosity to keep it from running out of a vertical joint before the gel time. I suppose since they offer System 3 T-88 as an adhesive, it is probably thicker than what they would make for fiber wet out.

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#7

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

Sgian Dubh

"I once said that epoxy has no place in fine furniture. It found itself into the top of this piece."

Jings, crivens, help ma' boab. Whatever next Bill? I can see a piece of contemporary furniture, all clean lines, mixed wood species (pale and dark maybe?), zebrano veneered MDF slab doors, some KD fittings, touch latches and self closing drawer runners might be on the cards for a soon to be realised project, ha, ha. Slainte.

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#8

It's a slippery slope indeed

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

But, my motto is "any port in a storm"...and I don't even sail .

Re: 60 joint assembly of dresser

#9

Re: It's a slippery slope indeed

William Duffield

I think what you really need for that job is an air compressor and a framing nailer. :D

Seriously, that's very impressive work. You can sleep soundly, knowing you've built it well enough that it shouldn't ever need to be disassembled and repaired, with the exception of course, of replacing runners and kickers or the edges of drawer sides as they wear with centuries of use.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.