WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

Posts

Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

#1

Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

John Foster

I have not had a scroll saw for 16 years ( since an unfortunate moving accident ).

I only occasionally miss it, but now I want to try some medium/light duty cutting of brass and copper sheeting ( 16 ga. max. mostly lighter ) . On my previous saw ,which was a consumer grade Delta, I never had much luck cutting metal even with what was a supposedly proper blade.

I would be doing some fairly small radiuses, but not ultra fine work like you see on some intarsia. I don't need a large throat depth. It also would end up doing some woodworking too. What saw would you recommend?

Re: Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

#2

Re: Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

john lucas

I have cut metal on a variety but mostly on an old Delta I had and now a Dewalt. What I do is put the metal between 2 thin sheets of wood. This makes it easy to cut and leaves a clean edge. When I made copper Christmas ornaments one year I used better grades of wood on both sides and got 3 usable ornaments. 2 out of wood and one out of copper. I have cut a lot of metal by hand in a jewelers saw but haven't used those same blades in my Scroll saw.

Re: Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

#3

Re: Best Scroll Saw For Metal ?

Keith Newton

I havent'had a scroll saw in too many years to count, but have cut a fair amount with a Bosch jigsaw, and was astounded by how well it cuts when you have the right blade for the thickness, even on thick steel.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.