WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Cabinet with marquetry door

Posts

Cabinet with marquetry door

#1

Cabinet with marquetry door

Johanna Johanson

I finally finished a cabinet I started last fall in a class on veneering at Santa Fe Community College. I wanted to post photos of it here, but am having no luck uploading them from my computer. Even though I am a registered user, there is no place to select the files. I wonder what I'm not doing correctly.

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#2

Photos

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

When you write a message, between the text box and format tools (H1, H2 etc) you should see ma "Browse" button. That will take you to your computer's hard drive which you can navigate to your photo directory. Select the image with a single click and press the "Open" button on your screen to upload your image. If the image is more that 150K in size, the software will tell you and you'll have to resize the image before uploading it.

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#3

Re: Photos

Johanna Johanson

I am no longer seeing the format tools! I'll try another browser, in case that's the problem - currently using Firefox.

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#4

Re: Photos

Johanna Johanson

Tried Chrome and MS Edge - still no icons for formatting. I'm logged in.

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#5

Re: Photos

Dick Coers

I'm guessing you have two accounts? Your first post shows your email behind your name, this last one does not.

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#6

johannaj

Re: Photos

johannaj

Aha! Thank you - I was not coming in under the correct account.

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#7

johannaj

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

johannaj

I finally finished a cabinet I started last fall in a class on veneering at Santa Fe Community College.



The cabinet frame is walnut veneer (bandsawn) on 1/2" Baltic birch. The door is 1/4" Baltic birch in a solid walnut frame.

I had read that article in Fine Woodworking on mitered bridle joints, so I tried it out on the door. It was a struggle - the top rail was re-done 3 times before I got it right. I'm not sure if I'll do it again - it's a really fiddly joint to make.

The first time I made the marquetry panel it buckled when it was glued to the substrate and the wrinkles could not be sanded out. So I remade the panel and used hide glue the second time. I also change the process from using a vacuum press to using weight pressure. I put the panel between two sheets of 3/4" MDF and put concrete blocks on top.

One thing I learned in the marquetry process was to use application tape on the veneer. It stayed on the front of the veneer until after glue-up. It was easy to remove and it was handy to be able to write on it.

Johanna

Placitas, New Mexico

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#8

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

jesse cloud

Great job Johanna!

Did you shade the lower leaves with hot sand?

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

#9

johannaj

Re: Cabinet with marquetry door

johannaj

Yes, Jesse, that is how they were shaded. I'm really enjoying marquetry; I've did a few little practice pieces before I tackled that door panel.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.