WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question on smoking ribs

Posts

Question on smoking ribs

#1

Question on smoking ribs

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

What is known about including bark on the wood? Does it matter? I have been chipping it off. Should it be excluded? I use cherry wood and sometimes hickory.

Re: Question on smoking ribs

#2

Re: Question on smoking ribs

Dick Coers

I've been told to take the bark off because it can add a bitter flavor. Never tasted anything that was smoked with bark, I took there word for it.

Re: Question on smoking ribs

#3

No Bark

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

bitter and sharp. Disrupts smooth smoke flavoring.

Re: Question on smoking ribs

#4

Re: Question on smoking ribs

Jerry Nicholson

I think I read that cherry bark (along with cherry pits) contains potassium cyanide. That could explain the bitter taste.

Jerry

Re: Question on smoking ribs

#5

Re: Question on smoking ribs

Stuart Johnson

It's my understanding bark should not be used as the smoke causes a bitter taste. Along this same line, the wood being used should be burnt down to good coals prior to using in the smoker. You don't want a large amount of white smoke once again because of the bitterness.

Re: Question on smoking ribs

#6

Alternative

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Soak the smoke chips in water for an hour or two before use. The extractives with much of the wood's flavor cook out in the steam to bathe the meat and the chips go to char from the edges in.

Re: Question on smoking ribs

#7

Bill Blasic

Re: Alternative

Bill Blasic

I have seen numerous shows on TV and visited these barbecue events around here that have very tasty smoked products and none of them remove the bark on the wood they throw into the smoker. I myself use cherry, apple and mesquite for smoking and I have never removed the bark.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.