WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Pond Liner Patch

Posts

Pond Liner Patch

#1

Pond Liner Patch

William Duffield

I have an EPDM pond liner with a hole that I need to repair. I'm looking for a suitable adhesive. I think I can clean the surfaces with naphtha and use a piece of the liner for the patch. Can I use 3M 5200, which I have on hand, as an effective adhesive?

Re: Pond Liner Patch

#2

Re: Pond Liner Patch

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Have a friend who used black silicone as the adhesive. Been several years and he hasn't mentioned it failing. You might want to rough the surfaces with some 80 grit for a better bond

Re: Pond Liner Patch

#3

Re: Pond Liner Patch

Barry Irby

I bet the 5200 would work.

How about checking with a pond store? Maybe they would let you have a small amount of the correct glue.

Or check with a "flat" roofer. Maybe you could buy them a beer for a little glue and primer.

Re: Pond Liner Patch

#4

Re: Pond Liner Patch

William Duffield

The problem with the pond stores and home centers is they are all a significant driving distance and they all want to sell you a "complete kit" with a bunch of unidentified ingredients and reviewed at two and a half stars or less, and I need to get this done before it rains tomorrow and the pond fills up with rain water. I probably already have what I really need, but I don't want to experiment blindly.

Re: Pond Liner Patch

#6

Re: Pond Liner Patch

Keith Newton

I think it would do fine.

Re: Pond Liner Patch

#7

Re: Pond Liner Patch

Joseph Mulherin

Try buying and using that liquid path and tape the guy sells for liquid leaks. He even made a boat covered with it run with a motor.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.