WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Are woodworking books obsolete?

Posts

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#26

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

jesse cloud

OK Roy, you have got us all curious. What books do you have?

Let's see a classified ad on WC!

With all this buildup I gotta believe they will sell quickly!

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#27

Agree...

John in NM

You will probably find some takers around here. Go for a targeted market like a woodworking forum, prefigure shipping costs (remember book rate? Now called media mail), make it easy and people will probably buy them.

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#28

Not the norm

Bob Lang

Most woodworking books published today (and magazine articles) are not reviewed for accuracy of the content, or edited by anyone with more than a passing knowledge of the trade. The publishing business has become one where the emphasis has shifted over the last 20 years from the value of the content within to providing a commodity. As a reader, you're lucky if the author is as thorough and conscientious as Richard.

There are very few people left in the publishing business who possess both technical knowledge and skills with the language. This dumbing down of the content, in response to the rise of the internet as an information source, has also reduced sales to a point where it is hardly worth the effort for a knowledgeable author to write a book.

Bob Lang

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#29

didn't take my bait

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I said I built Federal Furniture and my email is in the header.

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#30

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

Don Stephan

Few Internet videos seem to have the planning, preparation and thought I find in the woodworking books I own and occasionally refer back to. Bob Lang's experience is very disappointing, but in general I've never purchased a woodworking book without previewing a copy from the local public library or seeing positive reviews from trusted people. I use one of Bruce Hoadley's books several times a month, same with Richard Raffan's books; Jeff Jewitt and John Kassay several times a year.

Won't await reviews of Richard Jones (Sgian Dubh) book though - his many posts over the years, especially those on drawer slips, have shown clarity and organization that justify an immediate purchase.

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#31

I hope...

John in NM

That there will be an announcement here when its published? I'll certainly buy a copy, as will many others here I bet.

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#32

Re: I hope...

Sgian Dubh

I imagine I'll be able to somehow let people know the book is out, assuming all goes well leading to a release fingers crossed here at my end. Slainte.

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#33

Re: Not the norm

Anthony Leonard

That's too bad.

There is a particular woodworking magazine out there that has suffered the same fate!

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#34

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

Norman (Ottawa, Ont.)

A thought-provoking subject. Having read about the demise of print books and then a resurgence of the same books, I'm not quite certain they are dead. Dead or replaced with YouTube, etc.? Not sure where this is headed.

So I'm bucking the trend and am imminently releasing another book that centers around working with wood. These are books more so about the "journey" rather than woodworking techniques. "Inspirational" is another term I like to use to describe the books. So I am hoping this latest book and the previous one gain traction due to this. Not quite something to be found in YouTube videos.

Norman

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#35

Re: Not the Norm

TomD

"Most woodworking books published today (and magazine articles) are not reviewed for accuracy of the content, or edited by anyone with more than a passing knowledge of the trade."

I think it was a big book called Fine Tools by Sandor Naa.. t going to be buying his books any more (Office Space reference), that convinced me the woodworking department at Taunton had poor editing, and no remaining institutional memory. Though the Nick Offerman cover story in FWW was another classic, if you remember Tage Frid.

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#36

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

TomD

What is the Japanese interiors book Brian?

Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

#37

Re: And......

TomD

I am going to answer this is a separate post, unless it has already been beat to death. You might even like the example I am using, though maybe not in toasty Tenn.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.