WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Drying green spindles

Posts

Drying green spindles

#1

JL

Drying green spindles

JL

I used to have a "warm box" - but I had to give it up because of space.

The roughed out white oak spindles are 12-27" long, 1/2" in diameter at the smaller end and 9/16" at the larger end. The bulbs are about 7/8" or less in diameter.

Absent a warm box, how long to dry? They took about 1 week or so in the warm box w/ a 40 or 60 watt shielded light bulb (90 or so degrees). I suppose I could put them in a warm oven (if nobody objected :b) for a period of time. The lowest my oven will go is about 170 degrees - how long do y'all figure for that?

Re: Drying green spindles

#2

Re: Drying green spindles

Barry Irby

Do you have an attic? Put them up there for a few days.

Re: Drying green spindles

#3

Re: Drying green spindles

Dick Coers

Putting wet white oak into a 170 degree oven will produce firewood. Same with an attic this time of year, in my area anyway. It needs a gentle start to drying. I don't know where you live, so can't guess on drying time.

Re: Drying green spindles

#4

Re: Drying green spindles

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

If they took a week to dry in a warm box the warm box must have been at 98% humidity. At 170 in the oven, on the high end of a final KD temperature, I expect they would be dry in an hour , and likely severely checked. Why not just tick the tenon ends in hot sand and get the job done in a few minutes?

Good air circulation is as important as temperature in the initial stages. I have been drying 5/8" drawer sides in a car sitting in the sun, Three days and they are at 5%, starting at about 20%..

Re: Drying green spindles

#5

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: Drying green spindles

Jack Guzman from Maine

I dry all my spindles in a kiln at 125 deg. It takes 2-3 days. I would think,depending on the humidity it would take at least a month to completely air dry a spindle like yours. I use a small gram scale that was sold as a cook's accessory. When they stop losing weight they are dry. Like Bill said ,you can quick dry them by setting the ends in hot sand for awhile. All you really need to dry are the tenons anyhow.---Jack

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.