WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Installing OEM belt on Performax....

Posts

Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#1

Installing OEM belt on Performax....

Barry Irby

The continuing saga of the conveyor belt on my 16/32 Performax.....

I tried a belt from Woodcraft. Could not make it track and it ruined an edge, under a panel.

I tried a belt form Klingspor, got it to work, but barely, had to adjust it almost every day and it finally shredded itself underneath a panel I was sanding.

Tried a new belt from Woodcraft because they insisted it was an OEM belt from Jet. NOT! It was Identical to the previous belt from Woodcraft and would not track.

Finally called Jet and they refused to help me try to get the belt from Woodcraft to track. Said they had spent many hours on the phone with others with the same problem and would not spend any more effort. Strongly suggested I buy one of their belts at about twice the cost of the Woodcraft belt. Theirs are much thinner and made by 3M.

Belt came yesterday and I put it on this morning. I was skeptical. It had a wavy sort of sin curve join with tape on the back. Backing so thin you can read the writing from the other side. The Klingspor belt was also thin and had slick film on the back. Had to be very tight or the drive roller would just slip. So I put the new 3M belt on with some trepidation. Snugged up the rollers. Tried to test the tightness by slipping a finger tip under both edges. Put a piece of tape beside it to watch the tracking. Turned it on, waiting for the disaster. It was sort of anticlimactic when it tracked perfectly. I was ready to scream and curse, but it just kept tracking. After about five minutes I sanded some stuff. It just kept tracking. I don't know whether to be disappointed or impressed. Impressed I think. But, OTOH, it just did exactly what it's supposed to do.

Only got a few minutes on it, but so far I would have to recommend the 3M belt from Jet. I wish it weren't $92 with shipping, but if it lasts four or five years its insignificant. And the other cheaper ones nearly killed me fiddling with them.

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#2

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

Don Orr

Glad to hear that the belt worked as advertised. Sorry you have had so much trouble. I have the same sander and mine tracks fairly well but needs minor adjustment as I'm working with it. The guy I got it from had a lot of trouble with it when he got it and burned through several belts and had trouble with drum alignment. He was a segmented turner and used it for flattening his rings and if they were not perfect he was not happy. By the time he died and I got the sander he had worked out all the bugs. His wife even found an extra new belt about a year later and gave it to me. I don't use it all the time but when I do it's often for quite a stretch. Great machine overall. I often use it to clean up and reclaim old or dirty material.

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#3

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

Ken Krawford

Your experience exactly mirrors what happened to me. I'm glad you're up and running.

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#4

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

John C Lucas

Barry. Can you send me the info on the belt and where to get it. I have fought my Klingspor belt until im sick of it.

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#5

$92 is cheap to eliminate a stress in life


Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#6

John....

Barry Irby

I just called Jet and talked to the guy in the Technical Dept. who refused to help with the Woodcraft belt and he sent me on to the parts department. Try 1 800 274 6848. Maker sure you get a real 3M belt.

They were outside Nashville I believe. Tennessee for sure. The delivery to me in VA was about $8 and took about four days. Not worth much of a drive to save that.

There is a video on YouTube that shows them reinstalling the belt. The whole video is 57 seconds. Obviously some time lapse involved, but not a lot. They just put the belt on and it ran. I was scoffing. I got mine and put it on in less than ten minutes and it ran. After all the BS I have been through I was hugely impressed. The video wasn't THAT far off.

Re: Installing OEM belt on Performax....

#7

Re: John....

John C Lucas

Thanks Barry. Im guessing it came from their warehouse in Lavergne Tn About 80 miles from me. 3 of their engineers came up and took turning lessons from me. Im hoping some of the design considerations we passed on to them show up in some machines.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.