WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Banksia wood

Posts

Banksia wood

#1

Banksia wood

Roy Girolami

I know all the woodturning catalogs stock banksia seed pods, but has anyone ever used banksia wood? I saw a picture of some banksia wood in a book from 1913 and it was pretty spectacular. The caption called it White Honeysuckle.

Roy

Re: Banksia wood

#2

Re: Banksia wood

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

I have only used it once, many years ago to build a box. I only had a small piece, which I bookmatched and used in the lid. The wood was spectacular, my box was mundane.

It was thicknessed and planed by hand. I don't recall it being too difficult.



Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Banksia wood

#3

Re: Banksia wood

Roy Girolami

Is the tree on the small size? The book said it could grow to the full size of a forest tree, so lumber should be available, if the trees are common. The illustration shows a piece with similar figure to your box top. They call the figure "flower."

Roy

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.