WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Drill press vise

Posts

Drill press vise

#1

Drill press vise

Doug Ridley

I seldom use my drill press vise but today when I tried to hold an odd piece with it the worm gear won't connect with the drive screw. Seems like the little push button that lets you slide it freely is stuck in the free sliding position. I assume there is a spring on the push button rod that is supposed to shove it back so the drive screw will work the vise but it is either broken or frozen up. Anybody know how to get the worm gear back into position? I have already used extremely hot water and penetrating oil and neither did any good. There is no way to open the housing. Any ideas?

Re: Drill press vise

#2

Re: Drill press vise

Doug Ridley

Never mind folks, I got it. Put it in a vise and hit it about 10 times with a rawhide hammer and it just popped open.

Had already tried that once but I guess I didn't do it long enough.

Doug

Re: Drill press vise

#3

If you have a shop dog, be careful

Keith Newton

With that rawhide hammer. Miss Sassafras thought mine was a popsicle, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Re: Drill press vise

#4

Kneale Brownson

Re: Drill press viseFind a lube for it

Kneale Brownson

I use a penetrating oil that leaves a silicone lubricant behind when it dries.

Re: Drill press vise

#5

Re: Drill press viseFind a lube for it

Doug Ridley

Anyhow I got it out. Wont be using the quick slide anymore. I'll just run the drive screw in and out.

Re: Drill press vise

#6

Kneale Brownson

Re: Drill press viseFind a lube for it

Kneale Brownson

I used to have an European trailer hitch where the ballmount would release from the receiver with a turn of a key and push on a button where the button would stick once depressed. Similar issue. Needed a lube. Easy fix.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.