WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Just had a close call, fire hazard,

Posts

Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#1

Just had a close call, fire hazard,

Keith Newton

I usually take my chainsaw with me to the cabin on weekends, along with a small plastic gas tank and chain oil. It rained all the way home and while I unloaded, so I was running in with stuff trying to keep from getting soaked, and missed getting the gas and oil out of the back.

This morning I went to my supplier to pick up some sheet goods. I noticed the gas which was back in the corner out of the way, under the toolbox across the front of the truck bed. I was going to load the sheets over the tailgate, so the lift driver pulled up behind the truck with the sheets so we could tip them over off the forks. I moved in to gently give it a push, but he jumped down to help, and gave it a harder push on his side than I did.

That stack went in with a crash, which ruptured the gas tank. I instantly smelled it, and tried to reach in to pull it out, but of course it was captured. I could also see a stream draining out starting a pool under the truck. I got him to lift the tail in with his forks so I could drop the tailgate, then we pulled the sheets out enough to get the tank out, so I could run outside with it.

By the time I got back inside the puddle under the truck was out to about 8' circle, so I tossed the 4' x 8' cardboard cover-sheet down on it to soak some up. I had some bath-towels and a full roll of paper towels in the cab, which I totally soaked with gas back in the bed. I ask the driver if there were any extinguishers handy, which he acknowledged was just around the corner, but didn't bother to bring near, while other drivers drove around much too close for my comfort. I kept trying to warn them away, but it's so loud in there I don't think they understood my angst at what one spark would mean. I felt sure that one spark down about floor level within 50' would have turned me and my truck into toast.

Then after drying the bed and under the truck, and getting the soaked materials outside, I finally got the solid lumber portion of the order loaded, I started the truck and tried to quickly get out from over the damp circle, but the truck died before I could get out the door. I don't know if Tundra has some sort of sensor that detected a high level of fumes or what was wrong, but it wouldn't start again for about 3 minutes.

My nerves were just shot by the time I finally got out of there. In retrospect I couldn't believe I had just been down on my knees in the bed sopping up that much gas, with that much activity going on around. I feel like I was just extremely lucky, and have resolved to not be hauling around a gas can anytime unless I've got to have it with me when I get to wherever I'm going.

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#2

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

Dick Coers

The longer you sat there, the worse the situation. Liquid gasoline is not that dangerous, it's the fumes that explode.

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#3

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

John Foster

Interesting story.

I am the health and safety coordinator at a building supply / truss plant in Canada. I don't know how well you know the management at your building supply, but it would not hurt to drop a few hints.

1) Fire extinguishers in forklifts are mandatory in Canada, and highly encouraged in the United States.

2) While in this instance the gasoline was yours, I would think that most building supply stores handle enough hazardous materials, that the warehouse staff should have spill kits available and be trained in how to use them.

3) Their emergency plan should have been initiated, and the building should have been cleared.

4) There should be a S.O.P. for loading and unloading customer vehicles. There are all sorts of potential risks present.

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#4

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

Bruce, a MN Galoot

We had a somewhat similar situation. It was our first vacation ever, summer of 1980. We were driving to one of the Oregon coastal towns and saw a line of backed up cars a couple miles long. It found a couple back streets that took us past the obstruction. There was something running across the street, I assumed water, and the fireman directing traffic told us to get the hell out of there. I gunned the car and what I thought was water splashed all over, and the car instantly died. We pushed the car to a Denny's restaurant and found that it was drenched with gasoline. A gas tanker overturned in the street.

We had dinner, waited an hour and hosed down what we could reach. Didn't blow up, so here we are. It sure was rough on the blood pressure for a while

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#5

Thanks for the advice,

Keith Newton

This was a commercial supplier that I've been dealing with for a long time. They won't let us pull our own lumber anymore, so we have to call ahead by about half a day, then go pick up whatever was on top of the stack.

As for their having any procedure, I'm sure they've never had a fire-drill before, because when I found myself with big wads of saturated rags asking for something to put them in, the driver found a cardboard box for me.

When the driver brought my lumber to put on top of the sheet goods, it was short of what the ticket showed, so I pointed it out to the driver. He found another 5/4" board that had fallen off, which finished that thickness, but I was still missing some of the 4/4, so had to stop in the office to get credit. While in there, I brought up what had gone on, and told them about the spill. He acknowledged that he was aware of it. I told him that what they had out there was totally inadequate for this situation, and he said they'll work on that. We'll see.

I've been searching for a good small safety can to replace this one, and surprised by the lack of something better. I guess I'll replace my No-Spill with what I had, then make a dedicated space in the toolbox to protect it from something in there from puncturing or wearing through.

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#6

Re: Thanks for the advice,

William Duffield

OSHA requires safety training for all fork lift operators, with recertification every three years. From his actions, I strongly suspect that guy had never had the training. He is supposed to carry a card. I used to have one, but since I don't drive a fork lift anymore, I haven't kept up my certification.

From your description, that company is a disaster waiting to happen. If it were me, I would take my business elsewhere, ASAP.

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

#7

Re: Just had a close call, fire hazard,

Dave Nichols

I use my truck to haul gas every month or so, after I put it in the truck bed I make no stops for anything until I get home and unload it. Most of the time it's 20 to 25 gallons and I want it in the truck as little as possible.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.