WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Neiighbor donation -- how to store

Posts

Neiighbor donation -- how to store

#1

Neiighbor donation -- how to store

Gary Smyth

Neighbor downsizing. Asked if I wanted his cut-offs of a sign making business. Alupanel. some laminate, Foamcore, plexiglass, Optix, Lucite, almost all in white or clear, and sizes to 58" high. 1/8. 1/4 thick. All told maybe 250 pounds worth.

He stored flat horizontally, in a air conditioned space which I have no room to do. I plan on keeping in unheated garage. Should I stack vertically as it a lumber rack against a wall? I visited Lowes and Home depot and they keep in a cardboard box standing on edge in a metal rack. Anyone know of a different, better method.

How to store sizes under 24"? I use the stuff not often, but regularly. I need access maybe twice a month. This is a nice gift but I don't want it to warp or scratch over time. By the way, have you priced this stuff? A better gift every time I see what he gave me.

Re: Neiighbor donation -- how to store

#2

how to store

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

One edge, especially the plastics in a non-air conditioned space.

Re: Neiighbor donation -- how to store

#3

Re: Neiighbor donation -- how to store

William Duffield

I figure you are going to be more careful of it than the typical gorilla who shops the Orange and Blue Borgs, so it may need less protection in your shop. I store stuff like that based on size, interleaved with my plywood, MDF, glass, signs and other sheet goods. I treat veneers more carefully, often storing them flat in the bottom of a drawer, or wrapped in cardboard and foam board, with the edges taped up. I also tend to keep CDX and T1-11 separate because they may scratch the smoother materials.

Re: Neiighbor donation -- how to store

#4

Free is always nice, but

Dick Coers

As old as that paper looks on the acrylic, you will soon be posting about how to remove it. When it gets that brown and wrinkled, it can take half a day to remove it from a bigger piece.

Re: Neiighbor donation -- how to store

#5

Re: Free is always nice, but

Keith Newton

I was thinking the same thing as Dick. I wish I'd gone ahead and stripped it back when it was new, because I'm not sure there is a way after some point.

If you peal it now, you might just cut a sheet of craft paper a little larger that you could place between, then fold a little inch or so over the top edge.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.