WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Assembling Chest of drawers question

Posts

Assembling Chest of drawers question

#1

Assembling Chest of drawers question

Barry Irby

I'm building chests for my granddaughters.

Built the sides and checked the diagonals to be sure they were square.

Stood them on the back edges and installed the front rails. These are the horizontal dividers between the drawers. Cherry pieces dovetailed into the cherry sides. Checked them for square. Let the glue dry. Stood them up and one of them is wampus. About an 1/8"

I'm thinking the shop floor is not flat and level and the front was square but not in a plane. How do you avoid this? I have a tiny shop and no room for an assembly table. Maybe I should have leveled then east/west and north/south??? Any suggestions?

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#2

Kneale Brownson

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

Kneale Brownson

Put a piece of hardboard on the top of your tablesaw for a temporary flat glue up surface? That's what I've done for years.

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#3

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

Hank Knight

Barry,

I have a tiny shop too. Space is hard to come by and my floor is very uneven. Building a large case piece is a challenge. An assembly table would the wonderful, but there is just no room. I solved the problem by building a flat "assembly cart" (for lack pf a better term) with casters that I can roll around and move when it gets in the way. Not a perfect solution, but it works. Here's a photo:

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Hank

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#4

ditto on the cart

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

A chest of drawers is going to be difficult to move around for the rest of the project. I find it essential to have it on a cart as described. I found 4 locking, swivel wheels essential to the way I use the cart.

I'll have more to say on how to avoid your problem later. A level floor is not the cause or the answer. Right now I am needing to get ready to do a similar assembly. Hint, all the joints are best done at once.

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#5

How I assemble a case

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

"one of them is wampus" No idea what "one" refers to.


This case and all others are assembled in one time, upright. I prepare everything needed and lay it out in an orderly fashion. The glue goes into a cup which is held in a block so it doesn't skid. A small spatula and a "acid brush" with 1/3 of its bristles cut off are at the ready. Then I start adding the dividers- front bottom, back bottom, front top, back top, etc. Or if the case has a dovetailed solid top and or bottom these go in first. Glue is spread on both mating surfaces

I find it essential to assemble everything at once. Then all the stresses and strains can relax while the glue is still squishable.

When everything is assembled I check diagonals. IF THE JOINTS ARE ACCURATELY MADE THE CASE WILL SQUARE ITSELF. Hving learned this lesson I spare no effort in making sure the parts and joints are cut square. A table saw sled and shooting board are essential items for me. If necessary, a clamp may be added to pull into square. Over pull for there will be spring back.

I have been misled many times using a square to check square. A tiny bow in what the square is registered against will mislead the assessment of square or not. I don't rely on a square....check diagonals.

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#6

PS

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

If the case isn't square when the glue dries you will have a bad time fitting drawers, enough so that you will take every effort to get it square next time. :(

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#7

Re: How I assemble a case

Barry Irby

The "one" refers to the fact there are two granddaughters and two chests, one for each. One chest came up nice and true. The other is off about an 1/8". Left front and right rear legs act as if they are long than the other two and the chest teeters slightly.

I have not gotten to the drawers yet, but I fear you are correct on fitting them.

I realize now that the first one went together so well that I rushed the second one a bit and was a little too ready to quit for the night and leave. Should have checked it more carefully before leaving. Probably could have made an adjustment before the glue set. Does not pay to work when tired.

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#8

Kneale Brownson

Trimmed bristles

Kneale Brownson

"one third of the bristles cut off" means you shorten all the bristles to make the acid brush less floppy rather than removing some from each side, right?

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#9

clarification

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

yes shorten to make less floppy. I also have a shortened 1"paint brush for application on larger surfaces.

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#10

trimming brushes

John K Jordan

I trim the bristles often for other things, like forcing dark grain filler into texturing at the lathe (for contrast) or to clean dust and swarf from tiny carved detail/texturing or tight v-grooves and burned lines, and for brushing something like Renaissance wax into the same detail (or for removing excess wax!)

Except I usually cut off more of the bristles leaving on 1/3 or 1/4 of the bristles to make them extra stiff. Handy little brushes!

JKJ

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#11

Re: clarification

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

I do the same thing, I have purchased assortments of "paint" brushes from Harbor Freight, both artist and larger ones. Almost all become trimmed for glue removal, sometimes for cleaning parts although I do use some of the artist brushes for occasional stain touch-up when I have a spot of filler.

Re: Assembling Chest of drawers question

#12

Tooth brushes work very well, also ...

AZ in Colorado Springs

... but, of course, the handle is on the side instead of above. They're great for panel glue-ups.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.