WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

My son's new nightstand

Posts

My son's new nightstand

#1

Joe Fleming

My son's new nightstand

Joe Fleming


My son, Brian, is a junior in college and wanted to build a nightstand for his apartment at school. He came up with the idea that when the drawer opens and closes, it would turn gears on the top. Pretty cool idea. I coached him through the project, taught him how to use the table saw, router, and band saw. He did pretty well. The gears have a wooden pin in them that are seated in skate wheel bearings. The drive is with a rack inside the drawer (see the extra photo) and a gear the is connected to the gear on the front right corner of the top.

All of the wood is baltic birch plywood. The axle/dowel pins are turned.

Re: My son's new nightstand

#2

Joe Fleming

Re: My son's new nightstand

Joe Fleming

Here is the rack photo.


Re: My son's new nightstand

#3

Re: My son's new nightstand

Jim Dillon

Joe, what a clever concept and - for a first time project - your son did great! I bet opening and closing that drawer during a party becomes a real conversation starter. What's his next project? Thanks for posting. Jim.

Re: My son's new nightstand

#4

I like it

neal in South Carolina

And, if he put a knob on one of the gears, he could open and close the drawer by turning the gears!

Re: My son's new nightstand

#5

Re: My son's new nightstand

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Is he an engineering major :)

Thanks for posting. It wins the clever project of the month, at least.

Re: My son's new nightstand

#6

JL

Cool!!


Re: My son's new nightstand

#7

Very cool, Joe.

Yonak

Now he'll be geared up for his next exam.

Re: My son's new nightstand

#8

Mac-

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

-Engineering major maybe?

Nice for you both!

Re: My son's new nightstand

#10

Joe, how did...

Mike Farinella

you make the gears? You get an "A" for creativity.

Re: My son's new nightstand

#11

Joe Fleming

Re: My son's new nightstand

Joe Fleming

I've included a link to my website where I have posted an mp4 file so you can see the gears in action. He is studying Industrial Engineering at Iowa State University.

http://www.airbrushingwood.com/gallery.html

The gears were printed from the wooden gear website using the program we bought on-line.

//woodgears.ca

You print a paper template then glue it to the wood. He cut most of the gears on the bandsaw with a 1/8" blade.

Of course, as all good projects are designed, I had to buy a new tool to finish the project, so I acquired a used RBI Hawk 220VS scroll saw. Snuck that one right past the budget committee. :-)

Joe

Re: My son's new nightstand

#12

Joe Fleming

Re: My son's new nightstand

Joe Fleming

By the way... Many of you don't know me. I hang out on the woodturning message board and don't come over here very often. I posted this here because the turning content was so tiny. Thanks for the great comments. I'll let my son know. Joe

Re: My son's new nightstand

#13

Mighty cool, Joe

Howard in Toronto

what a great way to combine his studies with your interests and skills.

Thank you for those pics and links.

Howard

Re: My son's new nightstand

#14

That is really neat!!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.