WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Work in progress...

Posts

Work in progress...

#1

JL

Work in progress...

JL




Cherry.

Re: Work in progress...

#2

Re: Work in progress...

John K Jordan

You make the most wonderful things. Look forward to more pictures.

JKJ

Re: Work in progress...

#3

Re: Work in progress...

Don Stephan

I'm jealous, of the chair and your skills. How did you get the legs into the seat and runners without slightly loose mortise and tenon (MT) joints?

Re: Work in progress...

#4

JL

Re: Work in progress...

JL

I fit the legs and drilled the holes. I put the side stretchers in the legs and drilled the holes for the center stretcher.

I had long tenons on the ends of the legs. I leveled the legs by clamping them to the rockers. I then adjusted the orientation so it would rock reasonably well.

Then I went ahead and trimmed the ends of the legs. I marked and drilled the holes in the rockers. (Thank goodness for bevel gauges and mirrors).

I then dry fit everything. Fortunately, no adjustment was necessary beyond making sure that the ends of the legs were beveled so they wouldn't gouge the rockers.

The glue-up was "interesting". With Titebond liquid hide glue, everything is "slippery" - but you do have a relatively long open time. You can adjust things "on the fly" and get everything to fit just so. I then put the wedges in the tops of the legs (the legs had through tenons).

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.