WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

An unhappy day of resawing

Posts

An unhappy day of resawing

#1

An unhappy day of resawing

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


I am resawing a 16/4 cherry plank to make some quartered frame stock for a future chest of drawers for my youngest daughter's husband. First I hit the "target" of several .22 bullets. Didn't hurt the blade but the wood was mightily messed up in this area.

Then, a direct hit(s), splitting 3 nails and taking several teeth off the band saw blade. It's toast.

And this was a tree that had grown nowhere near any buildings or other civilization.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#2

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

Barry Irby

Wonderful Accuracy. Imagine how unlucky you have to be to hit several bullets on one stroke and three nails on another. Perfectly driven nails. And who can account for the bullets. I would have to glue up that resaw and build it into something. What a story. Hope it was not a high dollar blade.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#3

Bummmmmmer

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Your unerring accuracy in nailing all of them is remarkable!

If that's your high dollar carbide resaw blade, it might be able to be resurrected. A few years back, an outfit in upstate NY sharpened and replaced a couple teeth on my Lenox Trimaster.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#4

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

Don Stephan

Feel your pain.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#5

what is remarkable....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

is that someone put this vertical line of nails so straight with the grain that I split all of them sawing parallel to the grain. And I was so lucky that the original sawing of the 16/4 plank was exactly parallel to this line of nails. And I chose a resaw thickness to line up perfectly with the center of the nails. >(

I wish all my woodworking was this accurate.

The blade I use for rough resaw is the same blade that is welded up for Woodmiser saws. I get them welded up at Misenheimer, but likely any saw shop makes Woodmiser blades. Even with my measly 1 HP motor I breeze through stuff up to 12" tall.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#6

Bill, what size saw ....

Barry Irby

are you running that blade on? Isn't it too large for my Delta with a riser block and 16 Inch wheels? (and a 1hp motor.)

Makes sense to me to use a blade from the people that selol WoodMizer Saws.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#8

Re: 20" vintage Delta...Thanks...

Barry Irby

Don't think it would run well on 16" wheels.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#9

maybe

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

The wheels on a Woodmiser and not large.

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#10

Kneale Brownson

You "hit" on someone's target practice?


Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#11

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

Don Orr

Good shot-looks like you nailed it. :D

Re: An unhappy day of resawing

#12

Impressive

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Someone zeroed his scope's elevation on the "No Hunting" sign and you got'em both.

The very reason I borrow a detector before going at a log from around here.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.