WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Two different Performax questions

Posts

Two different Performax questions

#1

Two different Performax questions

Barry Irby

I decided to watch some Youtube videos while waiting on my new conveyer belt from Jet for my 16/32 sander. I have an older Performax with a 2 1/2 inch dust port and no Sand Smart feature.

One of the videos suggested getting a new hood with a 4" port to increase the airflow and keep the drum cooler and prevent burning the wood. Anyone done that? I am suspicious of the claim. One, I think the smaller port might only restrict the airflow slightly because of the Venturi effect. Two, I am having a hard time believing the increase in air flow would significantly cool the drum. I do use a converter and hook a four inch hose to the machine, so there is about two inches of smaller pipe. Any thoughts?

I was not aware of the Sand Smart Feature. My older machine does not have it. Its some circuitry that monitors the current draw on the drum motor and slows the feed rate down to keep it within limits. On my machine, that's me. There is a coupling from the motor to the drum that has black and white segments and they strobe under the effects of my fluorescent lights. When the drum is running full speed, the squares appear stationary. When the drum slows they start to move. I slow the feed rate down. If I switch to LED lights I will lose the effect.

On the video, he upgraded his controller to include that feature. Any of you have it? Does it appear useful/helpful? Any thoughts?

Re: Two different Performax questions

#2

Re: Two different Performax questions

John K Jordan

My Performax 22-44 has a single 4" port in the middle of the hood. It works extremely well and very little dust escapes, based on the numbers from a Dylos particle counting monitor. I have no idea about the temperature of the drum. I've never checked it.

Mine has some feature that automatically changes the belt speed if needed, can't remember if it is called the smart sand thing you mentioned or something else. It seems to work fine but I usually use very light passes and it seldom cuts in. I mostly use 80 grit paper.

JKJ

Re: Two different Performax questions

#3

Re: Two different Performax questions

William Duffield

Dimmable LEDs (used with a dimmer, of course) will strobe, because the dimming effect is accomplished by turning them on and off very rapidly. Depending on the design of the dimmer electronics, though, they may not strobe at 60 Hz.

Re: Two different Performax questions

#4

Re: Two different Performax questions

Paul Blackwell

As to burning of the wood, I find it's very much dependent on the wood species. I almost never have problems with poplar, sycamore, walnut, mahogany or the like. Cherry is more problematic. Padauk is difficult and purpleheart I find is almost impossible to sand. In almost all cases I only sand in .015 thousandths of an inch increments (1/4 turn on the height adjustment). Feed is mostly at 50 on the dial although I don't know what feed rate that translates to.

Re: Two different Performax questions

#5

Re: Two different Performax questions

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

In my experience you want to feed at the max rate the machine will travel and adjust the depth of cut to accommodate the feed speed.

Re: Two different Performax questions

#6

mostly ditto John

ronster

22/44 here. 4" port that is very effective (Oneida 2hp DC). I mostly sand 80 to 150, and strive for troubleless low-work cuts. But I have witnessed it ramping itself down a few times. I'm not fond of this machine because using it is slow/monotonous but it eventually gets the job done.

Re: Two different Performax questions

#7

I have the same set up and experience same results


Re: Two different Performax questions

#8

Re: Two different Performax questions

RP

Good luck on the conveyor replacement. It's a bear. At least it was for me. I got it working, but it took a long time to get it to track.

RP

Re: Two different Performax questions

#9

Re: Two different Performax questions

Rick Haverstock

Barry,

I changed over the 2.5 inch port on my Performax shortly after I bought it (used). E-Replacements or some other parts dealer had the Jet version with a 4" outlet and it made a big difference in dust pickup feeding a Jet 1200 DC. You have to do a little Dremel surgery on the Jet cover to clear the old Performax hinge pins. IMHO worth the minimal cost and effort to breath less dust.

Rick

Re: Two different Performax questions

#10

Re: Two different Performax questions

Barry Irby

Thanks Rick,

I may do that. I have thought about it before but never did do it. Mine seems to work well and I have to wonder what I would be gaining.

Re: Two different Performax questions

#11

Re: Two different Performax questions

Rick Haverstock

Barry,

My entire shop is set up for 6"ductwork (Bill Pence shamed me into it) tied to an older Jet (blue paint job) DC1200. That combo platter gives the best performance for a pretty decent non-cyclone DC. Easier to unload the DC plastic bag than the shop vac, and as a bonus, I don't have to listen to the whine of the orange and gray Ridgid. And yeah, the 4 inch port seems to suck up the sanding dust quite nicely.

Rick Haverstock

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.