WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 β€” 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT: A different version of SWMBO

Posts

OT: A different version of SWMBO

#1

OT: A different version of SWMBO

Clementine

I just ran across a different version of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - "Domestic Supervision. It's from Charles Dickens' Dombey and Son. Here's the whole paragraph:

On the downfall and banishment of Richards, the nursery may be said to have been put into commission; as a Public Department is sometimes, when no individual Atlas can be found to support it. The Commissioners were, of course, Mrs. Chick and Miss Tox; who devoted themselves to their duties with such astonishing ardor that Major Bagstock had every day some new reminder of his being forsaken, while Mr. Chick, bereft of domestic supervision, cast himself upon the gay world, dined at clubs and coffee-houses, smelled of smoke on three distinct occasions, went to the play by himself, and in short, loosened (as Mrs. Chick once told him) every social bond, and moral obligation.

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

#2

Re: Three Cheers for Mr. Chick!


Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

#3

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

Gary Smyth

Interesting.... I read and reread that paragraph. It finally dawned that in author Dickens time to be gay had little resemblance to the definition used today. I applaud his character's independence.

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

#4

Gary, thank you for pointing that out.

Yonak

I was also misimpressed. It's funny how a term can be so ingrained recently that it takes an effort to disassociate it from a previous time.

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

#5

words, words, words

John K Jordan

From West Side Story, I think these are the original lyrics to "I Feel Pretty":

MARIA

I feel pretty,

Oh, so pretty,

I feel pretty, and witty and gay,

And I pity

Any girl who isn’t me today.

It appears to have been changed at some point to:

I feel pretty

Oh, so pretty

I feel pretty and witty and bright!

And I pity

Any girl who isn't me tonight

And who over 50 can forget that

When you're with the Flintstones

Have a yabba dabba-do time

A dabba-do time

We'll have a gay old time!


And Peter Cottentail is on the bunny trail,

Bringin' every girl & boy

A basketful of Easter joy

Things to make your Easter

Bright & gay

JKJ

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

#6

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

Hank Knight

The principle definition of the word "gay" has always been " happy, bright or lively."

WEBSTER:

Full Definition

1 a : happily excited : merry

b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits

2 a : bright, lively

b : brilliant in color

3 : given to social pleasures; also : licentious

4 a : homosexual

b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals

Only in recent years has the connotation relating to homosexuality become common, but it is not the principle definition, at least not according to Webster.

Re: OT: A different version of SWMBO

#8

Re: In my defense...

Gary Smyth

As Riff said in "Officer Krupke" in West Side Story. "Hey, I'm depraved on account I'm deprived!"

πŸ‘ This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.