WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

Posts

Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

#1

Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

Stephen Roth

I'm looking to do some textured surface decoration in a cherry piece. Probably need to do about 10 square feet. The texturing will be made with a spherical bur in an air die grinder. I have seen various types of burs (single cut, double cut, and the Kutzall type), as well as various materials (HSS, carbide, TiN coated).

My concern is the quality of surface finish rather than speed, cost or longevity. I would like to go directly from the texturing to finishing without any further sanding in between. (Other than to take off stray wood fibers.)

Any recommendations regarding type and manufacturer?

Re: Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

#2

Re: Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

John K Jordan

I don't have a manufacturer but I do have a variety of carving burrs.

My favorite are carbide, maybe cuts a little smoother than some types but it might depend a lot on the specific wood, hardness, fineness of grain, etc. My small burrs are single cut.

On woodturnings I generally go over a textured surface with fine sandpaper (600-800) to knock off loose fibers. Too much and it rounds over any peaks for a different look. On a large surface I might try a fine non-woven abrasive pad.

JKJ

Re: Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

#3

Re: Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs? *LINK*

Keith Newton

Stephen, It might help if you are a bit more specific, like how large the texture pattern could be. If its down around the size of a BB, thats one thing, or the size of a fingernail is another. For 10' square, I hope it the later.

Also, as JKJ stated, making the right wood selection is crucial. Hard even texture woods will give better results than soft or coarse grain like oak. Wet or green wood is also a lot easier to get fine detail with.

Here is a link to some that I've used. The larger ones work great in a long-neck die grinder, which can be gotten pretty cheaply from HF, if your air grinder doesn't handle 1/4" shaft. The divot can be made about as fast as tapping a drumstick on the surface. On some wood, a little climb-cut motion gives a more splinter-less finish than straight into or against the grain.


http://www.rotarychisel.com/info.html

Re: Recommendations for Texturing Carving Burs?

#4

For large pieces you might want

Gary Smyth

to look at stone cutting impact tools. Look to Granite City (misc. burs, diamond) or Trow and Holden (carbide). You provided no information on the accuracy of the effect you want (example-- straight lines, tight turns, random spacing, depth) but jewelers catalogs will get you lots of alternatives. Rio Grande is a great source and offer accurate burs from Hager and Meisinger, Busch, Dentsply Maillefer, and their own Hart burrs. Easily over 300 choices and come in sets or individual burs. Tungsten Vanadium.

Dental supply houses offer accurate burs and Auto Body suppliers also offer them

Pictured is one example of a stone stipple tool to highlight areas of gravestones. (Drink for size comparison)

Hope this helps.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.