WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Another Chest of Drawers Question, Drawers

Posts

Another Chest of Drawers Question, Drawers

#1

Another Chest of Drawers Question, Drawers

Barry Irby

I tend to make drawer boxes out of poplar, dovetailed, and Then apply A front of the case wood over the poplar front.

How do you do it? Do you dovetail the case wood front onto the poplar (?) sides or what?

I will be using a Leigh Jig.

Re: Another Chest of Drawers Question, Drawers

#2

Re: Another Chest of Drawers Question, Drawers

Lee Schierer - McKean, PA

I do it the same way.

Re: Another Chest of Drawers Question, Drawers

#3

Ellis Walentine

Varies

Ellis Walentine

I'm not sure if I'm getting your question right. If you're talking about a show-face drawer front to a four-sided poplar drawer box, I just screw it on from inside the poplar drawer. This is the typical way to install show faces on kitchen cabinet drawers for example. It has the advantage of not caring if the drawers are overlay or inset. For finer furniture, the show face would typically be half-blind dovetailed to the poplar drawer sides directly -- no additional poplar front necessary.

On utility cabinets with drawer slides, the drawer sides are usually set in 9/16" or so from the ends of the drawer fronts to allow room for the slides. In these cases, you can attach the sides directly to the fronts with stopped sliding dovetail joints.

Ellis

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.