Looking at a house to buy and flip. The renters in the house now report bed bugs! The renters will be moving out and I will be doing some remodeling and repair work. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these pest? I would like to do it myself if possible and not hire it out. Thanks
I seem to remember that raising the room temp above 12s°F for 24 hours wipes them out. Space heaters are used with the room vents sealed to hold the heat. Mattresses and upholstery have to be exposed.
I was on the Board of a non-profit low income old folks home for a number of years. One of our residents brought in bedbugs and they spread like wildfire. Bedbugs are notoriously difficult to get rid of. We tried heat with marginal success and other remedies and hired several "expert" services to get rid of them. We finally found an extermination service with a good record of ridding places of bedbugs. They had a dog that could sniff 'em out and they used a combination of treatments with good success. We now have them bring their dog in every few months to do sniff. If he finds a single bug, we go through the remedy to rid that apartment of the nasty critters. It's working fine but it's costly. My advice is to hire a reputable extermination service with a good record with bedbugs. Do your research and hire a good company. There's a lot of snake oil peddlers in the bedbug industry.
Having perused the stuff posted and thought about it I believe I would hire a reputable pro if such a thing can be found.
I thought about heat, but I think what would happen would be the bugs would hide from it in the insulation or crawl space and attic. If you are going to gut the house to the framing it might work.
They used to tent and gas houses for Powder Post Beetles. Viacane or methyl Bromide. Stunningly poisonous stuff. It would work but it is dangerous and not cheap.
Another thought might be ozone. I talked to a carpet cleaning company that told me their ozone generators were so powerful they would kill everything in the building. Just a thought. As true gas, it would enter every cavity.