WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

Posts

Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#1

Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

Sgian Dubh

Here's a programme I found interesting, (I guess I'm a bit nerdy about trees and wood) which may also pique the interest of others. It's a repeat of a programme I seem to remember seeing a year or two back shown last night on BBC4. It's available on Catch Up TV for those with access to it - probably not too many on this US based forum, but there are alternative potential viewing options listed below. Basically it documents a year in the life of a 400 year old oak tree in Wytham Woods near Oxford, and apart from the day to day life of the tree over the year it digresses into discussions about the uses of oak trees over millennia.

The programme is also available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06fq03t and if that fails typing Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor into a search engine should work. Slainte.

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#2

Chico,

Mike Farinella

That link is only good in the UK and I assume Canada.

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#3

Re: Chico,

Paul Leuba

I am able to access the link from my Comcast ISP in Maryland.

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#4

Re: Chico,

Frank Orfanello

I can get to the link, but the player will not play here in Massachusetts through Comcast.

It says it will only play in the UK due to a rights issue.

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#5

A.  He's not Chico

Bruce, a MN Galoot

B. It doesn't work for me, either.

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#6

Re: A.  He's not Chico

Sgian Dubh

It seems I've posted a link to something I now suspect the majority of visitors won't be able to access unless, like me, they're UK based. I wasn't aware of there being geographical limitations on viewing ability. So I apologise if all I've done is waste people's time, although I thought the programme was very worthwhile seeing. Oh well, can't win them all I suppose.

And I'm most definitely not Chico or even a Chico, ha ha. Slainte.

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#7

Re: Chico,

Bill Howatt

Same situation in Canada, can see site but won't play outside UK.

Maybe it's time for the colony to revolt.

Bill

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#8

Been There

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Done that.

Have the flag.

;)

Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#9

I did not do it...! I am not Sgian... :-)


Re: Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor- adocumentary

#10

Re: I did not do it...! I am not Sgian... :-)

Kevin Fellows

This link works for me in New Zealand:

http://sockshare.net/watch/Nx4PYoxz-oak-tree-nature-s-greatest-survivor.html

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.