WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Shipping a drill press ????

Posts

Shipping a drill press ????

#1

Shipping a drill press    ????

Tom Dunlap

It's time for a brotherly shop swap.

My brother, in Dallas, has a floor mount drill press and wants a table mount. Me, in Minneapolis, has one of each and wants to get rid of the table mount.

So...he pays shipping and gets my table mount.

I've never shipped anything heavy before. Any suggestions? This is new ground for me so I'm asking for suggestions for how to source a shipper.

My idea is to take the table off and slide the motor/head down onto the base. Then bolt it to a skid/pallet. Then box up the whole works

Maybe there is a better idea?

Thanks

Tom

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#2

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

Barry Irby

Try UShup.com or maybe it's YouShip.com.

I think bolting it to a really sturdy pallet is the right Idea. With the head lowered

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#3

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

Keith Newton

I'm pretty sure you could ship either UPS or FED-X without the pallet.

I like the idea of sliding the table and head down to the base. I'd put some padding between them, and maybe try to insert the chuck or end of the quill into the center hole of the table. Each would help the other, and keep the center of gravity low.

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#4

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

Dick Coers

I wouldn't ship it with anything standing vertically. A small footprint, tall box, will almost certainly fall over more than once. If for nothing else than the fork lift guy knocking it over, or the trucker forgetting to strap it to the side. I'd cradle the post horizontally on v blocks, bolt the base to the end of the crate, and have the table and motor in the middle for a balanced lift. I used Freightquote dot com last time, but got hit with a hefty charge back after underestimating the shipping weight by 150 pounds (on a 3,150 pound shipment) and using the wrong freight class. So sorry, can't recommend a shipper.

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#5

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

Bruce, a MN Galoot

Is there any way to dismantle it? Then, make a box to fit and ship.

Or, it's time for a road trip.

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#6

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

William Duffield

How do you lower the head? (Rhetorical question)

When we get them shipped in from China, The base, the head and the table are all detached from the column, and the handles are also removed. All pieces are secured to the pallet, usually inside form fitting styrofoam, inside a heavy cardboard box.

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#7

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

William Duffield

Road trip? 30 hours round trip, and that's just driving time!

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#8

Road trip...eclipse

Tom dunlap

Yup...that comes to mind. I've thought about going down to Kansas City for the eclipse. It's about half way. A family reunion might be nice!

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#9

I've used freightquote a couple times...

John in NM

Shipped a woodstove up to Illinois once, a Terrco duplicator down here once, etc.... never had any trouble with the quotes, but then I was able to get the weights right, and that is a big deal for the freight class.

One tip when you do freight is to pick up and drop off at a transfer warehouse - saves you a bunch if you can work it out that way. The duplicator crate in the back of a 1987 Toyota pickup was quite the adventure, but it worked out. The warehouse guys were very impressed with the crating - woodworkers make the best crates, and the guy I bought that machine from was a real pro :D

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#10

Re: Road trip...eclipse

Bruce, a MN Galoot

On OWWM, it's called a "Rucker," after Keith Rucker, who has arranged elaborate, cooperative delivery schemes involving the site's participants.

Re: Shipping a drill press ????

#11

Re: Shipping a drill press    ????

john lucas

Haven't read the other responses but I shipped a very heavy lathe a few years ago. You can ship things through Fastenal for a very reduced rate but you have to crate it yourself and get it to them yourself. It will also have to be picked up at a Fastenal.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.