WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Poly Bags

Posts

Poly Bags

#1

Poly Bags

Yonak

I need to find some poly bags for products. I don't know what size will fit and I don't know how to find that out. I hate to buy 100s of bags just to find out they are not the right size. Does anyone have any ideas ?

For example, I have a product that's rather oddly shaped, but the overall dimensions are : 8-3/4" X 8-1/4" X 3-3/4". How would that translate into a poly bag size that would come together at the opening so it could be stapled closed ?

Re: Poly Bags

#2

Re: Poly Bags *LINK*

Keith Newton

just for a start, a gallon is 231 cubic inches, and 8x9x4" = 288, so your about at 5 quarts, if that helps.

Since the bags will likely be flat, then you need to add your two smaller dimensions 8-1/4" +3-3/4", which equals 12", so you'll need to be wider than that to get the parts in. You might be better off getting a roll, which is just a tube which you cut to whatever length you need, then seal the end.

Here is a link to Uline, a company that sends me a catalog every so often.


https://www.uline.com/cls_01/Bags-Poly-Plastic?pricode=WU273&AdKeyword=uline%20bags&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvdyOp8yl1QIVS01-Ch2fngVgEAAYASAAEgJSRvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Re: Poly Bags

#3

Re: Poly Bags

AZ in Colorado Springs

The shape matters, as well. I use an old moving box for a trash can in my shop. It's wide enough to dump the shop vac into, and being square it goes between the band saw and router table without a lot of wasted space.

45 gallon bags used to work great, but they changed the shape -- longer and narrower &- so now I use 55 gal bags which are wide enough and very long.

So volume isn't the only consideration.

Re: Poly Bags

#4

Re: Poly Bags

Gary Smyth

A Hefty Zip lock freezer bag in the 2 1/2 gallon size is 16" x 14" and something the size you describe will fit. Does a pretty good job of keeping stuff from drying out or moisture away. If it turns out not to fit your requirement it will easily hold a quart can or a small roller container when stored in the refrigerator overnight. It will also store platter plate food. Not very expensive but obviously for food so it might not work as a presentation covering for your application.

Re: Poly Bags

#6

Re: Poly Bags

Don Stephan

If necessary you could ask your neighbors for a zip lock bag in a couple different sized to try to identify the actual size you need, then look for sources of plain poly bags.

Re: Poly Bags

#7

Re: Poly Bags

Yonak

Thanks, everyone. I have found a supplier who's willing to send me some samples to try for fit and for thickness and style. I feel like this will get me there.

Re: Poly Bags

#8

easy

Joe Piotrowski

Garb yourself some newspaper,copy paper,gift wrap etc. Mock up bag.

Re: Poly Bags

#9

That's a good idea, Joe.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.