WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Your thoughts on this planer

Posts

Your thoughts on this planer

#1

Your thoughts on this planer

Gordon

I'm considering on purchasing the RIGID Model R-4331 13" planer at Home Depot.

I wondered what your thoughts and experiences are with this machine.

Thank you.

Gordon

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

#2

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

AZ in Colorado Springs

I have an R4330 13" Rigid planer and it works very well. Blades are easy to change. It has several thickness stops (1", 3/4", etc) which make repeating the thickness on additional pieces very simple. Works better if you connect a shop vac to the debris outlet, and best if you can connect a dust collector. (Prevents the chips from getting under the rollers and causing slipping if you have a lot of boards to plane.). It's loud, so have good hearing protection.

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

#3

Re: Rigid company

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

With the issues I had trying to obtain replacement batteries from Rigid Via Home Depot I will never purchase another tool with the Rigid name. My debacle ended up with Home Depot replacing the entire Rigid package with a new Milwaukee. I had went though the entire registration process when I purchase the Rigid which took months but was finally accepted. Turns out it was worthless. Home Depot was also part of the issue, but finally did pony up.

The whole reason I went for the Rigid tool package was the lifetime warranty on the batteries. Once burned by a vendor I will never purchase from them again. The planer may be a good tool, don't know, I have a Delta bench-top, but don't use it any more as I now have a 20" stationary planer with Byrd head. Others may be less biased and give you good info!

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

#4

JL

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

JL

Coming in late to the game.

I have numerous Ridgid tools - their vacuums, the oscillating spindle/belt sander and their drill driver.

Nary a problem.

The larger and heavier the planer (IMO) - the better it works.

I plane a lot of 8/4 lumber. I went with the DeWalt DW735. I've worn through two sets of the plastic shroud for the chip eject. At about $200 more than the Ridgid - I think it is worth it.

I would rather have a 15" planer - but I don't have the shop space.

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

#5

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

H.C. Sakman (Chico)

I'd go for Makita or Dewalt (newer or the previous model, 733? ) Never used the Ridgid but I used the other two, great portable machines.

Chico

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

#6

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

Bruce, a MN Galoot

The only problem with the Dewalt 735 is that you absolutely need to have a method of chip collection. Imagine my surprise when I didn't and the chips spewed out 20' the first time I used it.

It sure is a good planer, though. I agree with your recommendation.

Re: Your thoughts on this planer

#7

Re: Thank you for your thoughts on a  planer

Gordon

Sorry for not thanking everyone for their options.

I had to be out of town for 3 weeks at our Son's place so I couldn't respond sooner.

After a lot of thought I decided on the De Walt. Looking forward to using it when it arrives.

Thank you all once again.

Gordon

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.