Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Tim Greif - West of Chicago
I love wood and all, but there are limits to it's applications. Just sayin.......
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Tim Greif - West of Chicago
I love wood and all, but there are limits to it's applications. Just sayin.......
Woodie!!!!! Radical, Dude . . . Fer Shur
Looks like it cracked under load...
Wrong species
Re: Wrong species
Bruce, a MN Galoot
Agreed. If it had been highly interlocked it wouldn't have crack. Try doing that to ironwood.
From the Red Green show?
You found my uncle Bubba's car !
Ya dance wit da gal dat brung ya.
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Mark Nowicki
He is probably one of the plaintiffs in the undersized wood lawsuit.
It would have held together if it was a full 2 x 4.
Or it is Barry's car 
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Roy Girolami
A perfect place for duct tape.
Roy
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Ron Pemberton
Or baling wire.
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Don Orr
A little glue, coupla screws and you're good to go. What could go wrong?
Way it used to be
Bill Howatt
I read a book describing cars from the era around the turn of the century and it wasn't uncommon for them to have wood frames back the. One story talked about a multi-day race in which one car broke its frame. The drivers used the wooden bed frame in the hotel room to patch their broken car frame.
Bill
Easy to poke fun at but
Virgil Johnson
We don't know the situation. Could be the old part was cut out and the part delivered did not fit. The car needed to be moved off the rack thus the 2x4. Might have been a situation where the person made do on the road side rather than sitting on their duff.
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
John Veerkamp
I used to have 25 Chevrolet 4 door sedan. The upper body had a wood frame covered with sheet metal. Hybrid metal and wood autos were fairly common until the mid 20's. There was even a wooden axel Brush early in the century. Early autos were just horse carriages with the addition of a motor, thus the early name "horseless carriage". Amazing the backyard engineering that went into these pre assembly line machines. Fun memories.
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana
Had to smile when I saw this. Many years ago when I was contracting as a second job, my old pickup died. One of my Kids friends had an early 60 Ford Econoline pickup for sale cheap. As I recall it was under $100. I looked it over and found the back motor mounts had rusted out and a 2X4 or 2X6 had been jury rigged in to hold the motor mounts. I bought it, ran it for several months before it died from unrelated causes.
As an aside, the truck was listed as a 1/4 ton. During my ownership, I really needed some gravel for my driveway. Funds were very limited at that time so decided to go to a local gravel sales yard about 10 mile away and haul my own. I told the loader operator to put in about 3/4 ton, when we weighed out the load was well over a ton. I had to slowly crawl to a gas station and put 45/50 lb of air in the tires as they were almost flat. My wife was with me and I had a real chore driving the 10 mile home as the truck didn't want to go where it was steered!
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Walt
I watched a TV show - "How it's Made" possibly - about building a reproduction early 20th century wood framed British(?) car. Not a one-off but limited production. Gorgeous workmanship but I'd guess a garage was mandatory. And it's probably a good thing that Geoffrey DeHavilland didn't listen to those who said the use of wood in aircraft construction was outdated by 1940. The Mosquito would never have happened.
Re: Some things just shouldn't be done with wood
Ralph Lipeles
How about Howard Hughes plane - The Spruce Goose. I've seen it and it's a magnificent piece of woodwork.