WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

Posts

Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#1

Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Ha! Bet you were expecting a cool motorcycle. :D

Well, almost as cool, just acquired this Indian Chief. This iron beast has a jaw opening of 9"....sweet. Light cleaning and she'll be ready for the bench.



Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#2

Total Envy


Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#3

Iron work now?


Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#4

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

Keith Newton

I had one of those that belonged to my grandfather, along with some other of his blacksmith shop tools, but don't know where is now. I've donated some of them to the little county museum where I grew up, and the vice would make a good addition to that display. I'm not ready to give up the anvil yet though.

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#5

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

John K Jordan

Oh, I have one of those courtesy of my dad. He used it in his little garage for decades. Those things sure are sturdy. I plan to mount it outside my weld shop. Any day now.

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#6

It took me a long time to learn

Gary Smyth

that anchoring the post was the key to really cranking that vise. (Which from the handle I can see has been done with yours in the past.) While my post is currently in dirt, I really like the idea of a rolling base to enable the vice to move around. It can be a real pain working around my stationary monster. For the photo the steel is a bit expensive, but maybe something similar for mine this fall. Perhaps something to consider for your Chief.

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#7

Mid Life Crisis....????

H.C. Sakman (Chico)

Tommy....

You gotta do better than a chunk of cast iron and steel... some wheels have to attached to it. I am warning you... It is not done like this.

Chico

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#8

Re: Mid Life Crisis....????

William Duffield

Gary attached wheels to his. Doesn't that count? :D

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#9

Re: Mid Life Crisis....????

H.C. Sakman (Chico)

Hi William,

You need to fill me in what Gary did. I was absent.

Chico...

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#10

I see now what William is talking about....

H.C. Sakman (Chico)

No William, Gary's creation is great but still is nor fully serving to the purpose.;-)

Chico

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#11

Re: It took me a long time to learn

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

Initially mine will be bench mounted. I intend to set the post into a block to stabilize. But I like the idea of that mobile setup. Perhaps down the line. Thanks! T

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#12

To be clear.  What is pictured

Gary Smyth

is not mine, but someone else. I showed the picture as to what I hope to do as a better alternative to what exists. In the example I like the steel, table, wheels and the floor pins to lock down the base. I don't see a disadvantage. I'm thinking that I might still be able to learn about this style vise. You wrote "Gary's creation (not mine. see above) is great but still is not fully serving to the purpose". I'm asking, what am I missing? I use mine for metal mostly --hot and cold flat, bar, pound -- but occasionally other stuff like wood, PVC, braided cable, etc. I like the idea of accessing the vise in the pictured example from all sides. Not a challenge in any way, but what is the "fully serving to the purpose" in your view. If I can get more out of what I have, and/or intend to do I'm interested.

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#13

Re: To be clear.  What is pictured

William Duffield

What are you missing? In a word, Chrome!

And, you can't use it for rollin' down Highway 101. :D

Re: Mid Life Crisis....Indian Chief

#14

Re: To be clear.  What is pictured

John K Jordan

>>>I like the idea of accessing the vise in the pictured example from all sides.

I like the table which could be used as additional support for oddly shaped work, holding tools, torches. Maybe even attach the bracket from below to eliminate that obstruction.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.