WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Can you read this OT?

Posts

Can you read this OT?

#1

Can you read this OT?

Gary Smyth

For ten years I've had this painting. It's about 44" x 44" , is heavy and the canvas is, well older canvas. It was a bear to hang and I don't want to take it down, mostly to avoid to pay a researcher $400. So--what do you think the signature reads?

I know this. The painting is European, it is of the Susten Pass (written in German as Sustenpasse) in the Swiss Alps. Heavy oil paint applied by brush and palette knife in the style of salon paintings. (Pardon the sun reflection in the center) Beyond that -- nothing -- not that I haven't looked. I need new eyes. I've looked at it so long, I can't see anything I haven't looked up before. Note: Kow, Korn, have been beaten to death. Signature images played with so that perhaps some visual help. Last name is the important part. What da ya think? ]

Re: Can you read this OT?

#2

Re: Can you read this OT?

John K Jordan

Does the paint stroke flow up, over, and swirl down to form the leg of the "K"? Hard to be sure in 2D. Could the first letter of last name be a "V"?

There is a german artist Hermann Kern but he seems to have specialized in portraits.

Do you have a clue as to the age?

Origin?

Any way to find out more based on how or where you acquired it?

A newspaper antiques columnist Joe Rosson works from photos to identify and evaluate things that interest him. May be worth a try.

http://archive.knoxnews.com/entertainment/columnists/joe-rosson/joe-rosson-starving-artist-likely-painted-landscape-on-masonite-ep-556768163-354421651.html

Submit questions to Joe Rosson, c/o News Sentinel, 2332 News Sentinel Dr., Knoxville, TN 37921, or to rossoncrane@yahoo.com. Questions will only be answered in this weekly column.

JKJ

Re: Can you read this OT?

#3

Additional

Gary Smyth

Cloudy history. No clue as to painting actual age. Not likely pre WWII

I purchased for $120.00 in a early 2000's Estate sale from a older woman closing up house. (She was on her way to assisted living). I'm guessing she was in her 80's then. She passed in early 2000's.

If ever I knew it, long forgotten previous owners name. Without her name the facility where she was is of no help in tracing her. Dead end - literally. As I remember she had a nice home, was well appointed, and was full of old world European stuff --German/Austrian art, glassware, silver, lace etc. She may have been foreign born or at least was in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium in the 50's -70's. She may have been a war refugee (just guessing.) It was removed from a wall at the end of a hallway and lit well. It was a display work of art.

When purchased I asked about the painting as it was big and oil. I was struck by the "museum" gallery appearance but didn't want to buy a "Bob Ross" TV canvas. But now nothing comes to mind after the time lapse. Obverse has #1749 in red crayon, but no gallery marking. It is on 1 1/2" wide pine stretchers with wood wedges. The canvas is stapled to the stretchers. The paint is hard but not cracking. I'm guessing 1950's or later. Not especially old. By my logic the painter was born in the 20th century.

As to the signature. I can't figure what was used to sign, it is very thin and mostly consistent in width. It appears to be more in the paint than on the paint. Maybe a fine liner brush or maybe a pointed stick to show the underlying yellow/gold paint. It is signed on lower left corner.

Writing to Mr. Rosson right after this.

All suggestions will be searched.

Re: Can you read this OT?

#4

Clint Searl

Looks like Rembrandt to me


Re: Can you read this OT?

#5

Clean

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

your glasses, your monitor or both, Clint :D

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.