What's this called looking for source
Gary Smyth
Lid lock. Found on older wood surveying and marine instrument cases. Rotating disc works as a cam locking in the hook. Simple. Almost flush. Effective.
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
What's this called looking for source
Gary Smyth
Lid lock. Found on older wood surveying and marine instrument cases. Rotating disc works as a cam locking in the hook. Simple. Almost flush. Effective.
Re: What's this called looking for source
Larry
I think they a Shutter Dogs (locks)
I should have mentioned
Gary Smyth
these are quite small approximately 2" tall and about 1/2" wide. Used on protective wood cases for navigation devices (sextants, course correctors, rolling rules, boxed compass, etc.)
Looks pretty easy to make your own
Keith Newton
A fine tooth blade on a bandsaw with the brass backed up with some 1/2" MDF to close the gap and prevent tooth-chatter. Just a thought
It's Called
Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
a "hook latch" with lock or safety
I'd try google with that or "instrument case hook latch"
Re: It's Called
John McGaw
"flat hook latch" seems to come closer to the mark with Google which seems to think that "instrument case" always refers to roadie cases for guitars and such.
Re: What's this called looking for source
Johanna Johanson
Amazon and Lee Valley carry them - they are very inexpensive. Search for hook latch on their sites.
I get the hook and latch part but....
Gary Smyth
the part I want has a cam disc with a small tab that rotates on the screw and "locks" the hook. It is not just a hook rotating on a screw hooking into another screw or wire loop. By reversing the small tab the cam loosens and the hook can release and rotate downward.
Most of my instruments are WWII vintage and this style locking latch are on almost all of them if they are under fifteen pounds.

