WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Will a coat of polyurethane help?

Posts

Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#1

Will a coat of polyurethane help?

Joe Pack

I bought an old school desk for my young granddaughters. I painted it with three of their favorite colors - grape, berry and pink, all Rustoleum spray paint. Not perfect, but they will have it so covered with stickers nobody will notice! What I am wondering is whether or not I gain anything in terms of paint durability by top coating it with a couple of coats of spray polyurethane. Would the poly be more durable than the enamel it would be going over?

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#2

Somewhat

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Any coating, being the thin layer that it is, will only be as strong as what it's applied to. If the color layers are soft, they will allow the poly to crack and flake off, likely taking some color with it. Kids' stuff takes a beating so the poly won't hurt. Might protect the color layers when stickers are peeled and replaced.

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#3

PS

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Make sure that your color paints are fully cured before adding the top coating. Depending on heat and humidity, even rattle can stuff can take two weeks or more to get to full cure and hardness. Same with the poly unless it's something like spray Polycrylic that's waterbased and will get to full cure in 4-5 days.

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#4

Kneale Brownson

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

Kneale Brownson

Kinda like suspenders and belts. You can get polyurethane paints, you know. I found them very durable, especially the water-based stuff, when I owned a motel.

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#5

Paint . . .

Yonak

. . . especially oil-based paint, is, probably, the most durable thing you could apply. If it were me, I would brush on a coat (or two, if you really want it to last a long time) of paint.

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#6

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

Dave Bair

Poly may mute the bright colors I assume you've used. Try a sample first.

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

#7

Re: Will a coat of polyurethane help?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Spray can paint is not durable. It is not close to the "enamel" from a can. The urethane will be more durable but its yellowing will change the colors some.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.