WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT: PC security update.....

Posts

OT: PC security update.....

#1

Jesper, Denmark

OT: PC security update.....

Jesper, Denmark

Based on recommendations herein, I have used MS Security Essentials and the free version of Malwarebytes for several years. So far no real problems and no detcted attacks - except for a bit of spam.

Malwarebytes keep recommending to upgrade to the paid version.

So the question now is whether these two still are the definitive solution to keeping vira and malware off my PC?

Is it worth upgrading?

In the past, Norton etc, were a pain as they interfered and took too many resources.

Re: OT: PC security update.....

#2

Absolutely

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

I've run Malw premium on all our computers for 4 years.

I also use Hitman Pro which doesn't conflict but is great for clearing out tracking cookies and page shifters.

MS SE has been fine in the background, even though I retrieve very few emails in my machine, preferring, instead, to read/delete on the Earthlink webmail site.

Re: OT: PC security update.....

#3

PS

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

The free version doesn't have the ransomware blockers that the pay/Premium edition does. We've had at least 4 attempts on my machine by ransomware. Each was caught and blocked

Re: OT: PC security update.....

#4

Jesper, Denmark

Re: PS

Jesper, Denmark

Thanks,

I'll spend the few bucks to upgrade.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.