WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Posts

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#1

WC Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis E Peacock

10 July 2017

Good Morning Everyone,

It's been a busy weekend with getting stuff done around the house, helping a co-worker build a small shelf for his home, and cleaning up stuff in a part of the shop. Got the finish put on the chair and we start upholstery work on it this week. The good news is that we can work on that inside the house where it's much cooler than working in the heat and humidity of the shop.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis Peacock

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#2

Remain crossways with someone, something...OT

Gary Smyth

Can't get out from under a bad karma cloud.

Checked the Sunday weather report. "Perfect day. Temp.in low 80's. Winds northwest to southeast @ 5 mph. Get out and do something. Chance of precipitation zero percent. Enjoy!"

Perfect for some easy afternoon shade tree mechanic stuff. New supports for muffler, change oil, check tires. etc.

Laid out tarp so wouldn't spot driveway, got the car up on stands, hood up, compressor rolled out, tools at hand...

I'm under the car five minutes and the sky got dark, very dark. Lightening and thunder at practically the same time -- too close.


No choice but to get the hell out, scramble to get tool, wait it out, and pick up the wet pieces.

Another fun day

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#3

Garage Sale

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

My wife and I had a garage sale....and lived to talk about. A solid week of digging stuff out of the attic and every other nook and cranny....including the workshop. Where does all that crap come from? Geez. I put some old tools in the sale and they all sold. I probably marked them too cheap, but that's what garage sales are about. More about purging than getting rich. Thankfully, no horror stories to report. My workshop became the defacto staging area for all the crap. So I have been shut down for a week. Today I take back the shop!! It's time to make sawdust. T.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#4

Re: My neighbor's picket fence

Hank Knight

Sitting on my porch Saturday morning, I could hear my neighbor's skill saw running intermittently, interspersed with selected profanity. I listened for a while and finally went over to see what he was up to. He was building a section of picket fence to protect his wife's flower garden from pet ravages. He was trying to cut pickets freehand with his skill saw and having a difficult time. I told him to bring his PT pine boards over and we'd cut them in the shop. While he was hauling the lumber over. I set up my RAS with a fence stop and some angle stops. We cut about 40 pickets in less time than it took him to haul the lumber over. He was grateful and we celebrated over a beer.

Re: WC Weekend Accomplishments....

#5

I did some more work on my boat dock,

Keith Newton

I tried to pace myself a little better this time.

Then I got out and picked about 3 gallons of chanterelles. We've been getting lots of rain, and They were popping up everywhere.

I got to be choosy this time, I only picked the most perfect one which were pushing up through the leaf mulch. If they are coming up from bare earth, the rain splatters dirt on their undersides, which is tough to clean off. Another thing I did was take kitchen scissors to cut the dirty end of the stems before putting them in my collection bowls. They were easy to clean up.

I took a cup full to my favorite pizza joint to add to my "Dave's Favorite" which just arrived at my table. Yum

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.