WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT - Trucks

Posts

OT - Trucks

#1

JL

OT - Trucks

JL

Okay, I got rid of my old F250 about 2 years ago. It needed a lot of work.

I purchased a Subaru Outback - and I have been happy with it. It might not haul plywood very well, but I have hauled hardwood lumber :b .

Fast forward to now. The LOML has become obsessed w/ the idea of a popup camper. She has always disliked camping in a tent because of the low overhead, closed in feeling, difficulty in getting dressed, etc. But she would be happy w/ a popup.

I don't need a large truck. I don't have to haul that much in terms of lumber (or a popup -when we get one).

Currently looking at a Chevy Colorado - V6 w/ a towing capacity of ~7,000 lbs.

Also looking at a Toyota Tacoma - V6 w/ a towing capacity of ~6,500 lbs.

I am looking at an "access cab" - not a crew cab - bed length of about 6 1/2 ft.

Thoughts? Other trucks to consider?

Re: OT - Trucks

#2

Re: OT - Trucks

Keith Newton

I've got a 2000 Tacoma for sale that I've had for eight years. It is V6 4x4, and has pulled a pop up just fine. I just got a newer Tundra V8 4x4 that I'm getting used to. I really liked the smaller size and better MPG better in the Tacoma, but found too good a deal to pass up.

Re: OT - Trucks

#3

Re: OT - Trucks

Bruce, a MN Galoot

The problem with Toyota is that in 2007 they increased the size of the Tundra to be a true half-ton, able to match the size of the Dodges, Fords and Chevys of the world. Too bad.

I have a 2000 Tundra, 90% of the full size pickup of the day. I love it. The size is terrific. With a V8 and a 6500 lb tow capacity, I had no problem pulling an A-frame popup to Alaska from MN and through CA and the mountains on the return trip.

I think the older Tacomas are good, but I absolutely hate the driving position of the new ones. I'm looking for a replacement for mine, and I will likely get an '05 or '06 Tundra.

Re: OT - Trucks

#4

Re: OT - Trucks

John McGaw

An Outback will tow, if equipped with the factory hitch and aftermarket trailer brake package, 2700 pounds (3000 with the 6 cylinder). How big a popup do you need?

Re: OT - Trucks

#5

Re: OT - Trucks

Larry Clinton At Frankfort, (Central) Indiana

Another vehicle to think about is a full size van. I have driven vans for over 25 years. My current vans (i have 2) both have fold down beds, air and heat front and rear and reclining seats. The latest van I purchased is a (one owner) 2003 Dodge B1500, it has shades on the windows, pretty good sized bed, and is very comfortable to drive. It is equipped with a factory towing package, and I have an old single axle trailer that has hauled many full sheets of plywood, lumber (up to 16 foot long), shingles etc.

Owing a trailer makes sense to me as I can throw things in it that would possibly damage a truck, it has a far higher load capacity (I have hauled over 2 tons in it), and I can park it without unloading if I wish. The van has plenty of room, I can carry 7 people comfortably, or carry 4 people with

plenty of storage for items I want to keep dry and secure.

Prior to purchasing a van, I had owned a pickup for over 30 years, usually as a second vehicle. I have never regretted going with a van/trailer combo.

Re: OT - Trucks

#6

Really look at the ...

Mike Farinella

Colorado/Canyon. I bought the Colorado after a long search and analyses. Kudos to GM for a great truck. We love it and tow a 6K lb trailer.

Re: OT - Trucks

#7

Re: OT - Trucks

Martin

Hi JL,

Have you visited any of the truck forums? If you have not I am recommending you

spend some time exploring the bigger forums specific to the manufacturers of interest.

Clearly they are a good source of information, particulary those that have sticky posts

for Technical Service Bulletins, recalls and special problems. It is good to know what

you might encounter as a vehicle ages if buying new or used. And you can read up on the

changes briefly mentioned or not even mentioned in the sales brochures. One of more of

these might be unacceptable to your needs.

Then there is the towing packages. There might be a feature you want, but only comes

with a higher level trim. Or forces you into a configuration, crew cab, that you want

to avoid. I do not tow, but in the forum I read, the members are very good at explaining

the details of towing options. Plus the workarounds on adding or disabling a towing feature.

The newer pickups are clearly increasingly technical. Ford has opted for the turbocharger

and in the next F150, 2018, all engines will have the start-stop feature. If you are towing

the start-stop will automatically disable, but you should verify. Some detest this feature

and found ways to disable. GM and FCA like the cylinder deactivation for the V8 and I think

it is too difficult to apply to a V6. But again you should check anyway. It can be highly annoying

due to added vibration.

And technical means lots of electronics even on base models. Some of these parts are

very expensive or when the fail, your stuck on the side of the road. The truck forums

will give you a good feel for common problems with the electrical systems.

So I am strongly advising you do enough research in dedicated truck forums that you

feel very comfortable on your purchase.

Re: OT - Trucks

#8

Chevy Colorado

Jay Lombardo

I have just purchased my first new vehicle in well over 30 years, a 2017 Colorado. After MUCH research and disappointment at the prices of used trucks, they're crazy, I went with the Colorado. I am really loving it so far. I test drove the half tons from all three American made companies, just a personal preference, and found them all to feel bigger than I need now that I'm retired. Dodge dropped the Dakota, and ford dropped the Ranger, that only left the Colorado. It's exactly the size I wanted and fills my need perfectly. On the other hand I do look at all the technology and electronics and wonder if I'm going to like it so much in 6-7 years if this stuff starts to go hinky! I'm sure repairs won't be cheap. Only been a month, I'll keep you posted

Jay

Re: OT - Trucks

#9

JL

Re: OT - Trucks

JL

The Outback w/ comfortably tow the smallest popup campers. The medium size (w/ queen sized beds) - not so much. When the weight gets up to 1900 lbs or more, I want more of a reserve.

Re: OT - Trucks

#10

electronics

John K Jordan

>>>On the other hand I do look at all the technology and electronics and wonder if I'm going to like it so much in 6-7 years if this stuff starts to go hinky! I'm sure repairs won't be cheap. Only been a month, I'll keep you posted

You and me both! Last year I bought a '17 Jeep Trailhawk and I think everything, even the transmission and the parking break, relies on the computer. I read stories of failures on similar vehicles costing thousands. So I did something I thought I'd NEVER do - bought a service contract, and a lifetime one. It promises to fix anything that goes wrong with the electronics. We'll see.

JKJ

Re: OT - Trucks

#11

Re: electronics - Ditto

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

did the same on my Gran Cherokee

Re: OT - Trucks

#12

Re: OT - Trucks

John McGaw

Guess it is open to interpretation. I could go and buy a 10' pop-up from Livn' Lite with two queen-size beds. Vehicle weight is 1200 and fully laden GVWR is ~1700. Of course that depends on how much one intends to carry inside. In my book that would be eminently towable by a 2.5 Outback. This company and a few others make full-up hard campers with shower and toilet and kitchen and queen bed which would be within the capabilities of a 3.6R Outback. I wouldn't want to try racing up Pike's Peak with the pair but on normal highways there shouldn't be much problem.

Re: OT - Trucks

#13

I'd buy a warranty too, if I had to buy Fiat/Jeep


Re: OT - Trucks

#14

Re: "if I had to"

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

All new cars for the last several years are computer controlled, from engine and transmission to lights radio, climate, etm. Dick, you're computer-literate enough to know that it's "not if but when" a computer will fail. The one in your car is no different. You get a computer crash and it's gonna cost you way more than the damn service policy, whether you by a Jeez, a Fix-It-Again-Tony, a Found-On-Road-Dead, a Chevy, or anything else.

Re: OT - Trucks

#15

Just joking

Dick Coers

Making a joke about the combination of Italian ownership and old Jeep technology. I guess a lot of the Jeeps now have Italian powertrains, but not that long ago, they still carried 1940s technology. I've only ever owned one Chrysler product too. It was a first gen Caravan, and was a real POS.

I bought extended warranties on both my vehicles. I'll come up short on the 2011 Honda Fit. When I got the warranty, it put me in the "Gold Club" and 20 "free" oil changes. So with the value of that, and an AC o-ring that failed and the repair entailed removing the entire front of the car, I'll still come up short since the car is nearing 8 years and the extended warranty has run out.

I negotiated a better price on the extended warranty on the Ford Transit Connect van. But for the first 15,000 miles, no hint of issues. I had fun with the negotiation. The money guy at the dealership offered me the warranty. I immediately said no thank-you. He came back with a second pitch, and I refused that. So he actually said, "Because you refused it so quickly, you must have had a figure in mind on the value of the warranty." My reply, "Less than half of what you just offered." Of course I didn't get it that cheap!

Re: OT - Trucks

#16

3 Years

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

'til mine runs out. Then the car gets traded in.

Used to be those long warranty deals were something of a racket with all the fine print exclusions and the pricing which was a major money-maker for the dealers. Do some homework on aftermarket warranty outfits and you get a better idea of what the dealer should charge for what coverage.

Re: OT - Trucks

#17

Re: Just joking

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I had one of the first-run Caravans, too, and a bigger POS you never saw! Two engines, three AC units, two transmissions and an endless supply of CV joints.

Oh, wait, we had a 1972 Pinto with the exploding Firestone 500 tires. Guess that was a bigger POS.

When I bought my Tundra, used, the warranty lady hounded us for a half hour, explained everything the warranty would cover. I refused both the first and second offers, and then she asked what I thought would be fair. I said $300. She said I couldn't get much warranty for $300. I said she didn't understand, that I would take everything she had to offer but I was only willing to pay $300 for it.

She kicked us out.

Re: OT - Trucks

#18

JL

Re: OT - Trucks

JL

Was not aware of Livin' Lite. Thanks for the information - I was looking at Jaycos, Colemans and Rookwoods - which are much heavier.

Re: OT - Trucks

#19

Re: Just joking

John K Jordan

I negotiated a very good price on the lifetime warranty. To me, the cost up front didn't matter much compared to the cost of the vehicle. I tend to keep cars for 15-20 years.

The Jeep Trailhawk is my 5th Jeep. All have been excellent cars and excellent 4wd vehicles for sand and trails. Reliability has always been good. I've always done my own maintenance. That might not be so easy driving a big proprietary computer.

The only Fiat I've had was the 128, one of the best cars I had, imported some time in the '70s. I bought one of the first in our area - a whopping $1800 for a new car.

The boxy little car had a lot of room and lots of mechanical innovations compared to most small cars at the time. Kept it for a bunch of years and finally traded it.

JKJ

Re: OT - Trucks

#20

Re: "if I had to" not to leave Chevy out...

Stuart Hough

Cylinder-Heads-Eat-Valves-Rounds-Off-Lifters-Every-Time (just sayin' :D )

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.