WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How to make neat silicon caulk joints

Posts

How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#1

How to make neat silicon caulk joints

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Apply caulk to the joint to fill it. Spray caulk and surrounding area with Windex. Wipe up with paper towel while making a nice cove with finger.

For some reason the Windex keeps the caulk from sticking to surrounding area as it is made into a cove and the excess removed.

I saw this trick while watching a Corian installation. I forgot the details but son-in-law rediscovered them and I am reporting his success at caulking a recent project.

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#2

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

Johanna Johanson

So would that work in a shower? I need to re-caulk it and and I usually make a mess of caulking.

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#3

Jesper, Denmark

Re: Same idea, but......

Jesper, Denmark

I use my favorite low tech shop aid - a wooden tongue depressor. It makes a neat rounded cove.

Tongue depressors also have many other uses in the home and shop. shims, , glue spreaders, small paint stirrers, epoxy mixing, etc. etc.

The end is easily shaped with a sturdy pair of scissors if you need another shape than the round end. Invaluable when building boats or canoes with epoxy glue or coating with fiberglass.

Buy a box of 500 at the pharmacy and there are enough to last you a lifetime.

PS.; Tight fitting blue non-powdered nitrile gloves makes it easy to keep the gunk off your fingers.

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#4

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

Lee Schierer - McKean, PA

I apply painters tape to each side of the joint, apply the caulk and make the cove with my finger. Any excess goes onto the painters tape. Once I wipe off my finger, I peel up the painters tape. A perfect job every time.

Lee

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#6

Nice tip Bill, I'll have to try that

Keith Newton

I wonder if this would work with other types of caulk if one were to use whatever solvent is used to cleanup, like soapy water for latex?

Somewhat on the same subject, I was wondering if there were any new products or at least that I'm not aware of which will truly remove 100% silicone from surfaces that will allow the new caulk of choice to stick?

I've done the Google thing, and there are products claiming to dissolve it, but I suspect they are showing it working on latex which contains some silicone. I even watched one short youtube where a young DIY expert shows using a hair-dryer to soften it. I'm pretty sure Ive put a propane torch to some before without getting any satisfaction.

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#7

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

Johanna Johanson

Well, durn! Why did I never think of using tape to mask the edges! Thanks for the tip!

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

#8

Re: How to make neat silicon caulk joints

Joseph Mulherin

When I was working plumbing constructions and setting finishes, i.e. toilets, sinks, etc, I have a plastic tool which provided a smooth scoop for the collection of the overruns and a smooth cove surface for the sealer around the edges of the units

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.