WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

Posts

Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#1

JL

Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

JL

I don't do enough resawing to justify having a band saw set up just for resawing.

I have a 1/4" blade on my old 14" Delta and I am happy with it for cutting curves.

I need to replace the blade on my 18" Rikon with something versatile that cuts reasonably smoothly. In other words - a good workhorse blade.

Thoughts?

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#2

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

John in NM

I guess the question is how smooth is reasonably smoothly? I used to buy the general purpose blades from Highland Hardware and found them to be a good value, reasonably smooth blade. Supercut blades are similarly good but I think I preferred the Highland ones (this was ~10 years ago).

These days I buy 1/2" 3 tpi blade stock and weld up my own. They are vastly cheaper, but do not cut as smoothly -- probably I'm not getting the weld as smooth and well aligned and it's causing oscillations.

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#3

Wood Slicer

Thomas Skaggs, Foothills of Mount Level

The ones from Highland are Wood Slicer blades. They are very sharp and resaw well. However, I get my blades from Timberwolf and they work very well for me. Only comment that I have is that a 1/2" 3-TPI blade will resaw well, but won't serve as a "general purpose" blade. It is too coarse for scrolling etc. T.

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#4

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

Hank Knight

I prefer a 3/8" wide blade for general purpose cutting on my Laguna LT18. It's a good compromise between the scrolling capability of a 1/4" blade and the strength of a 1/2" one. It gives you better scrolling capability than a 1/2" blade and will do quick-and-dirty resawing in a pinch. Look at a Timberwolf 3/8 X 6TPI (positive claw) blade for a reasonably smooth cut on hardwood from 1/2" to q=1 1/2" thick.

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#5

the cheap solution

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

When I took the class in the Headley shop their workhorse 20" delta was equipped with a 6 tpi 3/8" blade. I installed a similar blade on my 20" Delta and it works for me when I don't have a resaw blade on it. I buy them for less than $15 at Misenheimer and I am sure any saw shop that welds blades from roll stock will provide a similar price.

Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#6

Timberwolf from Suffolk machinery


Re: Not doing resaw anymore - which blade to get?

#7

They sell a GP blade also... *LINK*

John in NM

These in the link are the ones to which I was referring. For the first 10 minutes or so, they are about 80% as smooth as a Woodslicer, but then get a bit rougher as they wear.


http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/123tpibandsawblades.aspx

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.