WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Posts

Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#1

Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Barry Irby

I have a 99 Mazda B3000 pickup That has developed a mystery coolant leak. I had the radiator replaced several months ago. Drove it home for the shop (maybe three miles) and parked it. For months. Nest time I drove it, it overheated. Apparently there was near nothing in the radiator. I filled it and drove it to the shop. They ran a pressure test on it. No problem found. Next time I checked it a week later it was two quarts low. I have a gravel drive but no evidence of a leak. I am suspicious of the heater core because I smell antifreeze in the cab. I looked up replacing the heater core and apparently when they build a vehicle, they position the heater core on the assembly line and then build the truck around it. They want to completely disassemble the truck to get to the heater core. $700. (I suspect the shop failed to refill the radiator when they replaced it, but do not know.)

Does anyone know if you can still use Stop Leak? Any better ideas?

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#2

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Ralph Lipeles

Years ago I used something I believe was Barr's. It was different. Some pellets and some liquid. It did the job and the problem never came back.

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#3

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Dick Coers

This time of year? bypass the heater. That'll let you delay the payment till winter. Pull up the mat or carpet to see if it's leaking in the cab. Also check the oil and watch the radiator coolant with the engine running. If you have a head gasket leak, you can often see bubbles in the radiator. A compression check will reveal the head gasket issue as well.

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#4

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Paul in NJ

Try putting a little Permatex sealant (the black gooey stuff that doesn't harden) on all the water hose connections. I had a Cherokee that would slowly seep antifreeze from an underneath connection and would eventually overheat during stop and go traffic. Never saw any antifreeze drips on the pavement.

Paul in NJ

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#5

Older truck, winter driving?

Gary Smyth

Stop leak will work, but is notorious for gumming up stuff leading to other damage. Gasket? Engine cracks? It can get in there too. Might lead to really serious problems. Radiator leak stop is really heavy gunky stuff. If you use it don't use more than stipulated. It can stop a leak, but for sure it will reduce the efficiency of the cooling system as it clings to and fills in the lines and it limits the flow.

Temporary fix, but it might work. Not going to solve the problem even if the leak stops. A lot cheaper in the long run to carry extra water as long as you don't get wet feet inside the cab.

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#6

Hope for easy...

Clifton C

I know this is going to sound too simple to work, but it has fixed more leaks then I can count. I cut about an inch and a half off each hose where it attaches to the heater core, Clean the tube ends coming from the core (steel wool maybe), then pipe clamp the hoses back on. Leaks in this area tend to evaporate before you see them. Like I said, it sounds too easy, but sometimes easy works. I'm cheap, I mean thrifty, I'd rather spend 15 minutes on a gamble before I shell out 700 bucks...

cc

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#7

Bypass it

Dustmaker (Mike)

As said in an earlier post, bypass it. If the coolant level stays up then you know it is a heater core. If it does not then it is not the heater core. Trim the hose as suggested before, then reinstall. It is summer time so you have a chance to play around. You can also use some baby powder and spread it around the hose's to see if any are leaking.

I would replace it my self in a truck in a car there is no way I would do it myself.

Here is a video on how to do a Rangers Heater Core it should be pretty close to the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD6gV9C_QSA

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#8

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

John K Jordan

I wonder if it is air in the line. Our son had the radiator replaced in his Murano and it overheated on the way home from the shop. Took it to the dealer who got the air out of the line and it's worked fine since.

To get the air out, they put the front end of the car on the lift and raise it until the car is at an excessive angle. Said they almost always need this after a radiator replacement.

Might be worth a query for your car.

JKJ

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#9

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Mike in Zuni, VA

Barry,

If it is a pinhole leak my late father in law taught me the poor dirt farmers trick. A box of black pepper! It will plug a pinhole in a second and not clog up the heater core or radiator. Many years ago I drove an ice truck while on strike at NNS & DD Co. Was gassing up the truck and when I walked in front of it and got wet from a very small pin hole in the radiator. The people that owned the ice company also owned a chain of gas stations. I went into the store and got a small can of black pepper and dumped about half in the radiator. No overflow/expansion tanks in those days. The leaked stopped in less than 30 seconds after I started the truck. They never had the radiator repaired during the couple of months that I worked there before going back to work at the Shipyard after the strike.

Since I know you are cheap ole curmudgeon, I hope this works for you.

Mike

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#10

cheap ole curmudgeon?  CHEAP OLE CURMUDGEON????

Barry Irby

Well, OK, it's true, I resemble that remark.

Thanks guys for the help. I will search a little more diligently before acting. I will carry some spare water. Search the passenger side floor for a leak. Check the hoses carefully.

I don't use the truck much, but occasionally it's a life saver.

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#11

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Clifton C

I have also heard of using pepper, but then I've also heard of using ground up road apples... :O

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#12

Re: cheap ole curmudgeon?  CHEAP OLE CURMUDGEON???

Bruce, a MN Galoot

I'd also check the oil to see if it's a foamy light brown and smell the exhaust. A good head gasket leak will suck up a lot of coolant and fix your engine permanently.

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#13

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Mark Nowicki

What probably happened:

You went to your usual garage (cars fixed/ money transfers/faxes send/immigration help available, 2 minute INS alarm guarantee, cheap calling cards).

They partially filled the radiator, did not bleed the system, hence the overheat.

Cat iron block, aluminium head, different rates of expansion, head gasket leak.

You smell coolant because it is most probably leaking out on a hot manifold, evaporating and getting sucked into the air intake.

Car repair in a can will harm more than cure.

Ask Bill Tindall for his spice mix.

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

#14

Re: Car Guy Question...Coolant leak??

Brian Holcombe

Does your oil now have water in it? Look for a slurry mix in the heads.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.