WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Looking for Table Top Hardware

Posts

Looking for Table Top Hardware

#1

Looking for Table Top Hardware

William Duffield

What do you call the hardware that almost instantaneously converts these "Chinese restaurant" table tops from round to square and back again?


It'd the brass colored hinge parts I need, not the black leg set. Where do you find it?

No, I don't want an intermodal freight container full on a slow boat from China, so AliBaba just won't do. ;)

Re: Looking for Table Top Hardware

#3

Re: Bingo! Thanks, Mark *LINK*

William Duffield

Here's my application idea. Whether or not it makes sense, or even makes setting up and breaking down one of these gizmos enough easier to warrant buying and installing the hinges, I don't know. Would it even prove more useful than a pair of StoreHorses? I'm going to think about it a while, so don't hold your breath. The assembly table definitely won't get implemented before I put an addition on the shop.


Folding Rolling Assembly Table

Re: Looking for Table Top Hardware

#4

Neat idea!

Tony-Memphis

That could come in handy. I'll probably never build one, but it is a neat idea.

Tony

Re: Looking for Table Top Hardware

#5

Re: Bingo! Thanks, Mark

Rum

Hmm.... Hmmm!!!!! Hmmm!!!!! design noted and saved.

Properly sized with a two piece fold down top that same kind of design would make a very nice and compact sewing room cut table design...

I've been planning on a gate leg design based on loml's stated requirements but we may have to lightly re-negotiate as this would be significantly more compact and space in there is at a premium (what with all the wool storage bins and all... ...).

Re: Looking for Table Top Hardware

#6

Re: Bingo! Thanks, Mark

William Duffield

I also saw some interesting concepts hidden within the rather crude implementation. I thought about the table top hinges after considering how much running around in circles and bending over, with the possibility of pinching fingers, would be needed to set it up and take it down, so spring loaded hinges that lock either opened or closed might automate the process somewhat. Note however, that the hinges will be sticking out in the middle of the two long sides, where you might bark your knees with them.

Note that all four casters are not set at the outside corners. I suspect that they would have gotten in each others' way when trying to maneuver it while folded up.

A folding top will be another interesting design challenge, if you want to two halves of the top to hang on the ends, and then rotate and latch together in the middle. Let me know if you figure out how to do it. I figured for a shop assembly table application, dropping a sheet of plywood on the top would have to do.

Re: Looking for Table Top Hardware

#7

Re: Bingo! Thanks, Mark

Rum

> Note however, that the hinges will be sticking out in the middle of the two long sides, where you might bark your knees with them.

Yeah I think it would be possible to do this with some sort of inset hinges to reduce that a bit. More interesting for a more "refined" piece than shop table. Worst case drop leaf hinges would have a lower profile... alternative ideas welcome.

In practice for what I'm thinking I don't think that will be a huge problem anyway because I'd do the top with a bit of side overhang which would reduce the exposure to irrelevant.

> Note that all four casters are not set at the outside corners. I suspect that they would have gotten in each others' way when trying to maneuver it while folded up.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking maybe only two in-line casters on one end and have the other end be fixed legs.. not sure yet.. I've never been a huge fan of 4 rotating casters as the locking mechanism never really seemed sufficient.

For a sewing table I might even just go with glides if its light enough, will have to see.

> A folding top will be another interesting design challenge, if you want to two halves of the top to hang on the ends, and then rotate and latch together in the middle. Let me know if you figure out how to do it.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking.

for a latch considering something very much like this:

https://www.paxtonhardware.com/product/tilt-top-table-catches/table-hardware

I believe it would be possible to mount the catch on the side rails which would minimize the footprint. A matching set of latches on the legs to hold the table top pieces upright and/or sprung hinges would probably be a good idea as well (having the top slam down on loml's fingers would be .. undesirable). I'm not sure if the sprung hinges would be sufficient when trying to move it, perhaps a simple drop in place bar latch that just holds the top pieces apart would be easier.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.