WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Tea House Garden Bench Completed

Posts

Tea House Garden Bench Completed

#1

Tea House Garden Bench Completed

Brian Holcombe

The Tea House Garden Bench is now completed, please have a read. I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2017/06/27/tea-house-garden-bench-complete/

I always greatly appreciate the positive comments left by those who follow my blog, but please do not shy away from questions. I'd like to use this a leap off point for interesting discussion.

I'm working on article for a friend's magazine on my position with respect to exposed joinery, I will use this as an example in my writing and I'm happy to hear your opinions on the matter as well.

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

#2

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I may be called upon to make a bench soon. If I do I will consider the dovetail design you used....I like it. I am sure you mentioned this detail somewhere but if you don' t mind again...what is the finished top thickness?

On the exposed part of the tail board was the sawed surface refined after sawing or does your saw leave a sufficiently refined surface to no require further work before finishing?

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

#3

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

Brian Holcombe

Thanks Bill!

The finished top thickness was 1-3/8~ basically I started with 6/4 and this mahogany is usually pretty flat.

I angled back those tail boards by cutting them cross grain with a chisel. It's a little tedious but goes better than sawing. The finished surface is nice and clean.

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

#4

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

Barry Irby

I especially liked the dovetails in the top angle back. I believe you posted a picture before they were angled. Much better as they are finished. Very attractive. They demonstrate excellent skill.

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

#5

Re: Tea House Garden Bench Completed

Brian Holcombe

Thanks Barry! Haha, indeed they are a bit harsh before they're angled back. The angle makes them.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.