Leveled and trimmed bench
JL
Not finished though.

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Leveled and trimmed bench
JL
Not finished though.

Re: Leveled and trimmed bench
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I don't own anything level enough to provide a reference, certainly not my bench. I like the legs. I think the top needs a roundy profile to go with them. I would suggest a bull nose.
Has eight legs? Its a spider....
Barry Irby
Isn't that style of turning a fanciful reference back to bamboo?
Looks great. Have you got "just the spot" for it or is it for someone else?
Re: Has eight legs? Its a spider....
JL
I am making two of them for my niece.
She wants them for a dining room table.
Dining table? Try it for a bit.
Gary Smyth
The bench is fine. Congrats.
However. before you begin the second bench, ask her to test this one out for her needs. I'm speaking from some history here. For dining tables (even in a rustic setting), I'm not a fan of long benches as seating. Hard seats, loose or bench style cushions, no backs, and people "trapped" in the interior seats makes for difficulty. Women and teenagers especially do not like to ask people to pull back the bench so that they can either lift their legs over or have people get up for them to exit to do what is what they do at large dinners. If you have both left and right handers eating on the same side of a table it can be less than pleasant.
That bench was planned for a particular space, it may be perfect OR it might well not serve as well as she thinks it will. There is too much work to complete two similar and then find out in use that in use they are inconvenient in the extreme. Try loading four or five people (any children?) at a bench for holiday celebrations and assess if I'm correct.
Agree
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I would not like dining on a bench seat for all the reasons you enumerated. I would decline dinner invitations to bench seating. Chairs are most common for a reason, well, a lot of reasons.
Customer is alway right.
JL
I made this argument several times. She wants benches. I offered her other side chairs. To no avail.