WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

OT; pet chemistry question

Posts

OT; pet chemistry question

#1

OT; pet chemistry question

Keith Newton

We're having a family reunion this weekend at the cabin. My sister ask me to come down early to help get things ready. This morning when I let Sassafras my golden retriever out, she came back to the door wet and stinking with little globs of fatty tissue mushed in her coat. She stunk worse than anything she's ever found to roll in before.

Before bathing her I found the rotted remains of a garfish out in the yard. The question is, other than digging out about a square yard of turf, is there something I can use to neutralize the turf if I just shovel out about one square foot, under the remains.

I'm sure the neighbors two chocolate labs are guilty of bringing the fish into the yard, since they're coated in it too. I have no idea how many times it has been moved around out there, so there is likely several stink rolls out there.

We are about to get three days of rain from tropical storm Cindy, which may be enough, if I just don't let her out of the house or off the porch without supervision. Yuck

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

#2

mother nature will take care of it

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

That gets right up there on the yuck-O-meter! The gross smell is the remains of the protein (mostly). Bacteria will eat it quickly and make stinky bacteria. But other bacteria will eat them and before you know it the smell will be gone. I think if you scrape up the remains the lingering stink will soon pass in your hot wet climate.

I had a huge black snake commit suicide in the lumber barn. When I found the remains it was liquefied snake. I removed the liquefied snake and the remains became largely odor free in couple of days. I don't know anything that would make sense to put on it. You don't want to impede the bacteria that will be deodorized the remainder.

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

#3

Nature's Miracle

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Designed for pet "accidents" in the house, I've use it to deodorize several non-pet incidents, especially the time the bag holding the lobster remains (Shells+) leaked in the garage fridge before the trash pick-up day. Had to throw out the stored food as well, but the stuff took the smell of rotting crustacean out of the fridge.

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

#4

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

clay foster

That's the doggy version of roll on deodorant.

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

#5

Using what we had on hand,

Keith Newton

I first bathed her using dish soap, and really lathered her going. Then I locked her on he deck while I shoveled a thin layer out of the yard into a bag which I hauled away. When I got back, I sprinkled the area with baking soda, which looks like it might kill the grass, since it quickly turned it brown.

When I finally got back to Sass, she still stunk, so got another bath, and is now squeaky clean.

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

#6

Stank Stop Home-grown

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

(Mix just before using)

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

¼ cup of Baking Soda

1 tsp. Dish Soap

It'll work for skunk. Should work for fish

Re: OT; pet chemistry question

#7

wrong chemistry

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Your recipe will oxidize the sulfur compounds that makes skunk stink into odorless (less odorous) compounds that are more water soluble and hence more easily washed away.

The rotten fish stink is from amines. They have neat names- putracine, and cadaverine. They are not going to be as reactive to the skunk recipe. The baking soda is not going to help either. Enhancing the action of bacteria, now that will work.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.