WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

Posts

Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#1

Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

Barry Irby

I checked with Seneca Tools to see if they would make me a 3/8" bit/cutter for the Domino 500. They said they are considering it but would need to make a batch of them to make it worthwhile to set up the machinery. They did not quote a price, but the 1/4" version is about $94. Anybody interested should contact them and add your name to the list.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#2

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

Barry Irby

The web site is www.senecawoodworking.com. I am trying to get a cutter for a Domino 500.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#3

Metrically Challenged?

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

You're looking for something that's less than half a milometer shy of a stock 10mm cutter that will cost you $44 at Marino

http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/domino-cutters/p/495663/

Especially since you're making your own tenons anyway, run'em through the drum sander again and you're done. You don't even need a mic to make'em fit.

Economics don't seem to support the proposal.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#4

Re: Metrically Challenged?

Barry Irby

Mark I have 1000 pieces of 3/8" by 7/8" by 16" stock I bought for $10 at a freight auction. I have been using them as floating tenons using a 3/8" end mill in a router to cut the mortises. They work well. I am trying to extend their usefulness to the Domino which I just got.

You are correct about the economics. At $.20 +/_ each, the Dominos are attractive, especially if you consider even the small amount of time it takes to convert sticks into the tenons.

Another thought would be to use thickened epoxy. The 3/8 tenons are just a little loose in the mortises.

You have a Domino 700 and Seneca makes a 3/8" bit for that. If you get one of those I will send you a batch of the sticks.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#5

Re: Metrically Challenged?

Larry Barrett

Barry, you might try putting some your sticks in an oven for several hours at a low temp. This will allow moisture to leave and the sticks will shrink a bit. Might be enough to fit the 4mm slot.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#6

Conversion

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

3/8" = 9.57mm

Add a bit of wood flour (shake out of the top bag on your DC , then sieve) to thicken your glue and a stock 10mm bit will do just fine. Epoxy will work as well.

I ordered a 6mm bit from Marino which is as small as I'll need. I have the adapter and the plate thing from Seneca already.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#7

Re: Conversion

Barry Irby

I am also considering using the 8mm bit and running the pieces I have through the Performax. The question will be if the mortise is wide enough. Don't want to have to fiddle with thickness and width.

Or I could just think of something else to do with the sticks I have. Kindling maybe?

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#8

Wondering

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

why you want to spend all this money to match your tool to a bunch of scrap wood when it's so easy ( and cheap) to match the wood to the tooling.

My 700 will cut two widths of mortises. Doesn't the 500 do the same?

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#9

Re: Wondering

Barry Irby

Its the frugal packrat gene. Just can't help it. My grandmother would spin in her grave if I wasted it. Its OK to spend a few hundred to save a dollar or two.

And, I can't have been WRONG when I bought the giant pallet of sticks.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#10

Frugal

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

Says "Even water's worth somethin'. But puttin' money in a dry hole's only gonna get you a crik neck."

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#11

Re: Frugal

Barry Irby

Been thinking I use these as pickets in head boards or chair backs or something. They fit loosely and beautifully into 10 mm domino mortises.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#12

And

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey

when you set them in epoxy they stay nice and tight.

Grandma would be pleased

:D

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#13

Re: Wondering

William Duffield

The DF 500 Domino will cut three different widths of mortises for each size tenon. But it's not critical if the mortise is wider than the tenon, since the flat sides of both the mortise and the tenon provide plenty of glue surface to hold the tenon in place where you originally positioned it during glue-up. That's why the ends of traditional sawn tenons are usually not fitted very precisely (except, for example, through seat side rail tenons in Philadelphia Chippendale chairs where a gap at the top or bottom would show).

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#14

Any junk veneer?

Dick Coers

If you have some cheap or junk veneer, you could laminate that to one side and then size for the 10mm. Not that is frugal!

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#15

Re: Frugal

Jim Dillon

Hey Barry, so what's the problem. They "fit loosely and beautifully into 10 mm domino mortises". The rest of us should be so lucky. Anyway, as Mark pointed out, 0.4 mm is not a lot - at least by my average woodworking skill set. It you insist on using your 3/8 inch tenons, I would use epoxy to make up for the very, very slight gap and deal with it. On a more practical side, I would ditch your garage full of 3/8 inch tenons (yeah, suck up!), use them for kindling, and buy some inexpensive Dominoes. Just saying. Jim

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#16

Dick, That's funny.....

Barry Irby

Several years ago my son asked me to loan my vacuum pressing system to some friends of his that run a commercial cabinet shop. It's a homemade system I cobbled together but it worked well. After about six months, they returned it, that is they allowed me to come and pick it up. They had used it to apply veneer to a Kitchen Island they sold for $15,000. For payment they gave me a hand full of veneer scraps. Nothing bigger than a half a sheet of paper. Not fancy. It was their backer veneer. I could use that if I had not thrown it away.

Re: Anybody interested in 3/8" cutter for Domino

#17

Re: Frugal

William Duffield

Of course, it depends on the time vs. money equation for the individual shop. Also, if you are gluing them up with epoxy, that much gap is not a big deal, and might even be an advantage, due to the unique properties of epoxy. But, there are applications where a really tight fit is a significant advantage, for example when using the Domino to align boards for edge gluing and you don't want to spend a lot of time running them through a timesaver after glueup. A tight fit is also very useful for projects you will use in the shop, where they have to be essentially knock-down for later modification or storage. I have a router table/cabinet and some clamp racks joined with Dominos without glue that have served me well in my shop for several years.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.