Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have some ribs to smoke. In the past I just smoked them because I didn't know how to do a rub or marinade. If some experienced rib smoker will offer some advise I would be grateful.
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have some ribs to smoke. In the past I just smoked them because I didn't know how to do a rub or marinade. If some experienced rib smoker will offer some advise I would be grateful.
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Andy Lincoln, in Dearborn MI
Bill,
This recipe has always worked well for me. I have a version multiplied out and I go the the bulk food store and buy my ingredients by the cup(s) and keep in airtight containers in the freezer until needed.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rib-dry-rub-recipe-1915626
Ingredients
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Pack on the dry rub onto your next rack of ribs
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
JL
When I want particular spices, I usually go to Penzeys.
I usually don't go for blends as they sometimes have things that I might find objectionable (or my wife might find objectionable).
That being said, once in a while Penzeys has free 1/4 cup sample jars.
I've tried a couple of them w/ pork products.
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/jerk-pork-seasoning/c-24/p-189/pd-s
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/galena-street-rib-and-chicken-rub/c-24/p-399/pd-s
I found both to be fairly good.
I also use their regular chili powder and their salad dressing mixes. Other than that, I have a drawer full of various Penzeys' spices and herbs.
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Robin Corell in Atascadero
I'm usually not a big fan or prepared rubs but Lately Iv'e been a huge fan or one made by Spice Hunter called chipotle cinnamon. Don't let the name scare you, it does have a touch of cinnamon is not a dominate flavor. If you can scrounge up some olive wood it really is outstanding for smoking pork.
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Rick in Colgate, Wi
Most rubs have the same basic ingreidents, add what you want to suit your taste. I like Steven Raichlen's 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs, they always turn out great!
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Grant Smith
Hi Bill,
Several years ago, a real estate salesman named Mike Scrutchfield decided he wanted to try competition BBQ. For a year or so, he smoked some ribs each evening, tweaking the rub, timing, and sauce. Each morning for 173 days he took samples to his coworkers. Eventually, they reached consensus on a combo. The salesman then entered a BBQ contest, then a few others, and he won many grand championships and awards.
Then Mike decided he had had enough of the contests. He shared his recipe with the world, and dropped out of competition.
So here's his recipe and how he cooks ribs. He happens to have used a weber bullet charcoal fired smoker, but you could use any smoker. The key is the rub, cooking sequence and process, and to use KC Masterpiece sauce, with added honey.
I am becoming famous around friends and family for this recipe. Now people ask me to bring ribs to every gathering. Here's a link, or you could search on "best ribs in the universe", along with "virtual weber bullet", which is the web site it resides on.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-by-mike-scrutchfield.html
Regards,
Grant in Iowa
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
E Phillip Smith
I've tried several of the Penzy's recipes but have settled on a simple rub of salt and black pepper. Smoke for 2 to 3 hr. at 225F to get good smoke flavor, double wrap in foil and continue cook at 200 to 225 for and additional 2 to 3 hr. Flavor with your sauce of choice. Cooked like this the ribs will be fall off the bone moist, and have a nice spicy kick at the end.
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Bob Lang
It's easier than you think, and hard to really screw up. I take a small bowl and go through the spice cupboard. The basics are garlic powder, onion powder and parsley. Then I go for the spicy stuff, crushed red pepper, chipotle powder, chile powder, cumin, black pepper. I don't measure but I probably use about a tablespoon each of the first three and a teaspoon each of the others.
Instead of a dry rub, I make a paste, adding a couple tablespoons of yellow mustard and apple cider vinegar to the bowl. If you appreciate heat you can also add some hot sauce to the mix. This adds some more flavor and helps the spices stick to the meat. I spread this on before putting the ribs in the smoker.
I have a Traeger (wood pellet burning smoker). I get it as hot as I can then put the meat in. I turn it down to 225 for a few hours. When the meat is about 160 degrees I wrap it in butcher's paper, not foil, turn the temp down to 200 and go for a few hours more.
Others in my family like to add sauce for 10 minutes or so before serving, but I believe that sauce is used by folks who don't know how to barbecue to cover their shame.
Bob Lang
Re: Rub maraniade for smoking pork ribs?
Dave's Not Here
I've been using Famous Daves Rib Rub for a long time and like the results I get with it, https://www.amazon.com/Famous-Daves-Ssnng-Rub-Rib/dp/B004IKK51C/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1497712953&sr=8-2&keywords=famous+daves+rib+rub . I not only use it on ribs but also on chicken and sometimes even on fish. Good stuff.
Thanks all, they turned out well
So, whatd'ja do?
Ellis Walentine
All these replies have my mouth watering. What did you settle on? What would you change?
Ellis
results
Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have a primitive smoker fueled by pieces of cherry and apple. Often I have poor temperature control but this time it was hot outside and no wind. I was able to keep the temperature 225-250, with most times nearer 225.
Daughter started a pie at 450F at an inopportune time which prevented me from moving ribs from smoker to oven at 3 hours. The rub was brown and white sugar, paprika, salt and pepper and Chili spices. I don't like the taste of Cumin.
I smoked for 4 hours. Too long, 3 would have been better. I wrapped and baked for 2 hours. 3 would have been more ideal as I like to chew the bones and cartilage. I baked 45 minutes at 225F open to dry out the surface. That seemed about right. The meat was tender, the bones and cartilage were not quite easily gnawed, the outside was a bit too smoked for my taste (not black but not brown like it was at 3 hours). The outside was dry, inside moist.
The rub: I could not tell that it made any difference. The outside was sufficiently smoked that it didn't matter what had been put on before hand. Enough juices seeped out that I suspect any rub dissolved and ran into the water pan below. I think rubs are for more experienced and sophisticated smokers. Next time I will just smoke for 3 hours and add spicing at the end, if desired by someone.