Turning

Subject:
Re: Mark, I would have the same ........

Joe Fleming
I had the old Eurotherm drive in my Stubby 750. I crapped out a couple of years ago and I ended up buying a Toshiba based upon the recommendation from the sales guy. I was shopping for an Eaton at the time. They were most helpful in helping my program the device, wire it, etc.

For fine tuning, I contacted Toshiba support in Texas somewhere, and they got the beast singing in no time.

I Had contacted Rod at Omega Manufacturing in Australia. He will sell you a plug-n-play controller with installation instructions, pre-programmed, but the price tag was north of $1,200 if I recall correctly. The Toshiba, when all said and done was around $350 for the VFD plug miscellaneous parts. I don't have the Hamster, but the simple Bill-retrofit control box. I rewired it, replaced one switch, and I'm good.

Since the Eurotherm was embedded in the belly of the lathe, I rigged a mounting box near the lathe for the new VFD. I an read the speed on the panel easily. I also rigged up a tachometer so I could compare motor speed to spindle speed. Totally unnecessary, but I like the extra lights. :)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081