Turning

Subject:
The personal library is alive and well for many *PIC*

John K Jordan
>>>There are things that books excel at over the internet and vice versa. I probably have over 70 books that are directly or indirectly linked to woodturning. There is info in these books that you are not going to find on the internet easily or at all.

I agree. My shop library is overflowing, not only on wood-related books but books on machining, welding, electronics, plants, animal care, building construction, more.

Sure, there is a lot of information on the internet and it can be incredibly valuable, but it's easy to be overwhelmed by search results and we all know some of it is not useful or just plain wrong.

These days it seems "watch a video then consider yourself taught" is the norm. But we all know how bad some videos are. Fortunately the vetted videos on the AAW website are a good resource.

In addition, there is SO much more good information in a good book than could be fit into a video or found on a typical web site, it's all in one place, and presented consistently. I have bought books that were less than useful but those from trusted authors are like gold.

My physical books have numerous notes in the margins, highlighted text, post-it notes to bookmark certain pages, and most have a wonderful index in the back. Easy to carry outside to a chair under a shade tree, even when there is no internet connection.

I often show students diagrams, methods, and options from two of my favorite books. In fact, when I find them used I buy extra copies to loan.

This is part of what is behind my chair at the desk in my shop office:

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081