Turning

Subject:
Re: Seeing inside a hollow form

john lucas
You see the way a blind man sees. I have used the light inside that I learned from Frank Sudol. It works well if your wood is reasonably consistent in color. If you have knots or dark areas they don't transmit the light correctly and you can cut through easily if your turning that thin. A lot of hat turners use this method and it does work very well as long as the wood is reasonably consistent in density.
I have and still use the laser light but if it gets out of adjustment accidentally like happened to me this weekend, then you cut through. It works really well if you light support system is good.
I am working on setting up a camera system the way Trent Bosch does. It works pretty well but my camera doesn't magnify the image enough so the it's hard to get very thin although with what I have. Mike Gibson is able to get very thin consistent vessels this way.
sound. If you really pay attention and don't have any other noise in the shop you can hear when a vessel is getting thin. You have to learn to listen. I tried it on a bunch of boxes but just wasn't that good. I cut through one. I guess with practice you could do it very well.
Takes a lot of practice to get the walls really smooth and that's where seeing would be good.
I don't do many hollow vessels so each one is a learning experience. I do make a lot of boxes and of course you can see inside those and I can get them very consistent.
so I guess what it boils down to is practice. Lots of practice.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081