Turning

Subject:
Bud vase, cocobolo, with boo-boo! *PIC*

John K Jordan
My first turning in a couple of months, following a bud vase demo by the Amazing Jake at the Knoxville club in January. (Jake even passed out glass tubes for the inserts!) I made this to take to the meeting tonight.

Cocobolo, old cocobolo. With a glass tube insert to hold water.

(Yeah, I know, the flowers are too big for that little vase. I takes what I can gets :))

I picked a very old block of cocobolo for this, just barely big enough to let the tube fit. Cocobolo turns black from the outside in with time, due to, I suspect, oxidation. The black on the bottom was cut off when I removed the tenon but it's evident on the top and a bit on the largest diameter nearest the sides of the block.

This little vessel also had a boo-boo, self inflicted. There was barely enough height for the tube to fit, so I thought. When I parted it off the tenon I discovered the tip of the drill bit went through the bottom! I reamed the smaller hole to make a 1/2" hole with sides tapering the the "proper" way, cut a plug from what was left of the tenon, and glued it into place. The figure was a fair match If you hold it just right in the light you can barely see the very thin perfect circle of a glue line.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081