Turning

Subject:
Re: Reliant 10" mini wood lathe

John K Jordan
>>>I am new to turning and would like to know more about this used machine I purchased. I felt if I tried it and enjoyed it, I would purchase a higher end machine.

Hello David!

I'm not familiar with that lathe. Do you have a picture?

I couldn't find a manual online but many smaller and older lathes are similar, in that they have a motor with several pulleys, a headstock with a spindle that will somehow mount a drive center and a faceplate, an adjustable tailstock to hold another center, and a tool rest between the two.

If your lathe has all these you can certainly get started in turning with just a tiny bit of instruction.

One of the best things to do is to find a woodturning club in your area. Most have plenty of members who would gladly help you get started.

Another thing is to get a book or two - I got started with two books, Turning Wood by Richard Raffan, and Fundamentals of Woodturning by Mike Darlow.

Since your lathe may not have all the features of a newer lathe, here's a simple thing to do - find a manual for another older lathe. The first lathe I bought was a copy of the old Craftsman single-tube lathe. It was a HORRIBLE lathe - but it let me turn some things out of wood and made me decide I liked it enough to buy a better lathe! The manual for that lathe can be found online: just search google for:

wl1200 woodturning lathe manual

The first link I saw was a PDF download.

The best thing about that lathe was the wonderful manual! Unlike most, it has a fairly complete woodturning course towards the end, describing how to hold the wood and use the tools. When I got that little lathe I knew exactly nothing about lathes except they could let me make round things from wood. Using that manual I was able to easily turn spindles and bowls.

Did you get any tools with the lathe. You will need just a few basic tools to get started and some can be found very inexpensively and some for free. I initially bought a set of inexpensive but good quality tools from Sears which are probably no longer available, but I understand Harbor Freight has inexpensive tools. The woodturning club is also a good source of information about getting started with tools.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions about turning!

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081