Subject:
shellac or lacquer...
Response To:
Re: Obsession ()

David Weaver
.. french polish is sort of that, but with the bias that you can keep doing it, wait for pore shrink over a month or two and then do it again (real french polish).

A very labor intensive way to do things other than french polish (which is pleasant and relatively quick if you don't work too thin).

I could see some guitar fanatics trying something like that to keep the finish as thin as possible and at the same time, all of it as hard as possible (gibson uses a vinyl sealer and then a plasticized lacquer, but they're not exactly high end work. Not sure what collings does - collings is pretty much the top end of production guitars and their finish is still lacquer, but thinner and much neater. The danger of putting a preferred thin finish on a guitar is that over the years, the lacquer will still shrink to grain or wood movement will result in a little bit of telegraphing, but I don't like thick entombment just to be able to pay a lower skilled buffer and avoid shrink over time. )

Nitro is sort of a no-no here as the shop is attached to the house. Any time I've sprayed in the winter at the door edge and then hung a guitar outside, the lacquer has cracked, and bugs are a problem in the summer.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081