Messages

Subject:
The most evil project I've ever undertaken *PIC*

Howard Rosenberg
The very worst project I’ve ever undertaken is drawing to a close: modifying my dust collector.

It started its life as a Delta 1 1/2HP two-bag DC. This was the year I thought I’d make a Thien separator.

Not a good idea.

It turned into a series of disasters I’ve been working on since July.

Four different attempts that included some of these standouts –
- 3/8” thick bendy plywood that wouldn’t form a clean circle without a flat spot where the two edges were to meet and was brittle, splintery and scared the fertilizer out of me when I tried cutting it on the TS
- routing the top and bottom four different times and finally breaking down and just buying a Super Dust Deputy

But some of the positives were –
- learned how to position the edge of a router bit’s cutter on a line with good accuracy
- chimney flashing - a very versatile product easily cut with a utility knife for custom widths
- the Milescraft circle jig – overall strangely fiddly, not very sturdy product that is basically effective
- the “shop-in-a-shop” dust control system using 8x10 tarps hung off the joists

But several weeks ago, I though I’m finally getting to the finish line.

Alas, no.

A new challenge – the “out-of-sight-out-of-mind” dust shroud under my contractor came apart at the seams.

I figured rather than possibly overwhelm the SDD and send more dust to the filter using a 6-to-5 inch reducer to the SDD’s inlet I’d just break down and buy 5-inch hose which meant also buying a 5-inch HVAC duct boot to make a new dust shroud.

Here are a few pics –

Pic 01 – the exterior is made of corrugated sign board – it’s bolted together using 6-32 bolts, washers and nylon-lined nuts so it doesn’t vibrate loose – everything’s angled to fit in the CS’s bottom and slope to the new 5” HVAC duct boot

Pic 02 - the corners are reinforced with the material drywallers use on corners – the paper extends beyond the metal corners

Pic 03 – the gussets I added to the drywall corners after my first test install and tore the paper and didn’t want to depend on duct tape to keep everything together

Pic 04 – the shroud’s interior – I’d hung on to the signs from a General Motors Christmas promotion

More to come after I stop pulling my hair out….

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081