Subject:
You are all correct....

Barry Irby
I did create this problem by not anticipating the difference between red and white oak and the way it reacts to the black epoxy.

My brain is running wild like the squirrel you are about to run over in the road.

I actually considered the Shellac Mark suggested, but only after the problem presented itself.

I thought about using sheetrock compound. Oddly, I made some shelves for my son's bookcase. Movers lost them. Maybe some of Ikea's best. Tried to fill the pores with blackened sheetrock compound and painted them dark coffee brown. Smeared it on, let it dry and sanded it off. Pretty good job, but it's still obvious it's red oak under the paint. This was about a week ago.

And yes, I have lot's more of these slabs and need to figure out a good finishing schedule. I had the slab flattened on a CNC with a five inch head on it. The head went back and forth length wise stepping over 2 1/2". It looked like somebody had mowed the grass. Fibers leaning left on one pass and right on the next one. Very smooth to the touch but very visible.

The smart move would be to find someone with a four foot wide sander and send then through on that. At least everything would be leaning the same way.

On this one, I will sand and then then sand, and sand some more.

And it may have been smart to practice on some scrap. Come to think of it, I am. This was one of the worst slabs in the bunch.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081